Welling United 8-1 Hythe Town - The boys were professional and got the job done and pleased that we move into the next round, says Welling United boss Jamie Day

Saturday 10th December 2016
Welling United 8 – 1 Hythe Town
Location Park View Road, Welling, Kent DA16 1SY
Kickoff 10/12/2016 15:00

The Buildbase FA Trophy First Round
Saturday 10th December 2016
Stephen McCartney reports from Park View Road

WELLING UNITED manager Jamie Day praised his professional players for getting the job done after outclassing ten-man Hythe Town in The Buildbase FA Trophy First Round.


Hythe Town knocked out Vanarama National League South basement side Bishop’s Stortford in the last round with a 4-2 win at Reachfields Stadium two weeks ago, but their longest run in the competition was ended by clinical Welling United.

Welling United may be a couple of places higher than Bishop’s Stortford in the league but there was not going to be a Cup upset at Park View Road as 355 fans watched Day’s side destroy Clive Cook’s men by eight goals to one.

Adam Coombes opened the floodgates with a nineteenth minute penalty, before Welling United raced into a 4-0 lead through headed goals from winger Christian Nanetti and Danny Waldren – before striker Coombes notched his 23rd goal of the season.

Hythe Town striker Alfie May, who scored a hat-trick in that win over Bishop’s Stortford – scored his 26th goal of the season.  Chairman Paul Markland said before the game that he has slapped a “five-figure” transfer fee on the striker’s head and that League Two leaders Doncaster Rovers are interested in the Dartford based goal-machine.

Waldren headed in his second free header to give Welling United a 5-1 lead, before Hythe Town’s woes were added when they lost central midfielder Chris Saunders to a second booking in the 65th minute.

Welling United were reduced to ten-men for the final 18 minutes when striker Harry Crawford was withdrawn and Day had already used his three substitutes.

Welling United rattled in three late goals with right-back Matt Fish, debutant, former Fisher striker Trey Williams and winger George Oakley scoring – as Hythe Town suffered their record defeat in FA competitions.

Hythe Town, who are 32 places behind Welling United, in sixth-place in the Ryman League Division One South table with 42 points from 22 league games, maintained their 4-3-3 formation against a Welling United side that have sealed back-to-back wins since Day took over from Mark Goldberg in the dug-out.

“I’m pleased with the result,” said Day during the post-match press conference as the rain fell down from dark December skies.

“For good periods of the game I thought we controlled it, other times we were a little bit sloppy and just got complacent but we knew it was going to be a tricky tie, to get through like we have done is obviously pleasing.

“We done our homework on Hythe. We knew they’re a good team with good players on good form so we knew it was going to be tough and I think whilst there were little things that we need to work on. I thought the boys were professional and got the job done and pleased that we move into the next round.

“We’re not going to get carried away. We’re back in the league next week and that’s the bread and butter and that’s where we’ve got to get the points so we’ll enjoy the weekend and then we’ll come back and work hard again Tuesday and Thursday and we need to put in a good performance again on Saturday at home to Concord Rangers.”

Hythe Town sent out their goalkeeping coach Mark Lane to do the post-match press conference as Cook and his assistant Will Graham were left shell-shocked.

Lane said: “End of the day we’ve just got beat 8-1.  I think for the first 15-20 minutes we did ok, gave a penalty away and they showed their superior quality in the final third of the pitch.  I think it’s as simple as that at the end of it!

“The result’s disappointing. I’m more disappointed with the performance of some of the players. Some of the 11 didn’t turn up today and when we go training on Tuesday we’ll be discussing that with the players after the training session.

“If you look at the goals today, we’ve given away three free headers. We’ve given away a penalty. We’ve given a one-on-one in our final third when the guy’s gone through and put it past the keeper and the two other goals are from two free-kicks in the attacking third for us broke down and they’ve broken away and scored.”

When asked about the comparison between Bishop’s Stortford and Welling United, Lane admitted: “They (Welling) were a different kettle of fish to when we played Bishop’s Stortford.  They’re (Welling) tall, they’re strong, they were big, they were quick. To be fair to Jamie Day, he’s got them playing half decent football down here again.

“But straight away when the teams came out you look at the difference in physicality between Welling and Bishop’s Stortford – no disrespect to Bishop’s Stortford – they were quite a small side. You’re up against a different height and physical strength here.”

Welling United created their first opening inside 12 minutes.

Fish cut the ball back to Nanetti, who whipped in a cross from the right and Waldren’s header from 10-yards went straight at visiting goalkeeper Joe Mant, who saved comfortably.

“Christian’s done well the last couple of weeks. He had a good impact in the game last week and he’s had a good game today,” said Day.

“Danny’s very good in the air, which we’ve seen today and he’s a threat with set-pieces and breaking in the box, so it was maybe a little warning. I was fairly pleased, just about getting that goal and trying to kick on.”

Left-winger Oakley then cut inside before hitting his right-footed drive from 20-yards which brought a comfortable save from Mant.

But Hythe Town were guilty of poor defending today and they gifted Welling United the lead, timed at 18 minutes and 29 seconds.

Rickie Hayles floated a free-kick into the Hythe Town penalty area from midfield and Josh Burchell’s clearance was poor and Nanetti found himself on the right hand side of the penalty area and was chopped down by quiet Hythe striker Frankie Sawyer.

Referee Andrew Laver pointed to the spot and Coombes rifled his right-footed penalty into the roof of the net, over Mant, who dived to his right.

“Obviously Frankie will be disappointed with his challenge. It was a forward’s challenge in the box and when Christian’s running at you he is difficult to defend and he draws a tackle in,” said Day.

“I’m pleased for Coombsie that he’s got another goal and added to his tally.”

Lane said: “Poor old Frank, does a striker’s tackle. He found himself on the wrong side off the man straight away.  He’s tried to rectify that. He’s tried to reach for the ball and we’re on the wrong side of him and there was no other choice, you can’t even argue, it was a stonewall penalty.

“He tucks it away, does what he does.  To be fair to Joe, he hasn’t done too well on penalties this year. He won’t like me reminding you on that but it is what it is, you expect him to score.”

Hythe Town’s front three were living off scraps and recalled Welling United goalkeeper Chris Lewington made a comfortable save in the 24th minute.

Liam King swept the ball out wide to the left to Sawyer, whose first cross was cleared and his second attempt bounced into the keeper’s hands from 25-yards.

Lane said: “We had the three small lads up front. We tried to get in and around them with work-rate, which we did on Tuesday against Lewes but I think we ended up realistically playing high balls than balls along the ground and they were feeding off scraps all the time.”

When Hythe Town did manage a second shot on target, coming from midfielder Sam Adams from 25-yards, team-mate Sawyer got in the way so Lewington wasn’t called upon.

Welling United doubled their lead, with the goal timed at 34 minutes and 11 seconds.

Coombes penetrated the left-hand side of the penalty area and floated in a cross towards the far post for the smallest man on the pitch, Nanetti to send his diving header into the bottom near corner from four-yards, via makeshift Cannons central defender Ryan Johnson, who filled in for Craig Cloke who is in America attending a wedding.

Day said: “Good play from Coombsie, I thought it was good build-up in that and Coombsie has done well and shown what good quality he’s got with the ball, not just scoring goals. We said to the wide players you’ve got to be getting in at the far post and Christian’s done that and got his rewards for it.”

Lane added: “Another free header at the back post, something that we just didn’t defend against and it hit (Johnson) on the line, gone through his legs and gone in the goal. If you give free headers at this level, they’re going to score!”

Just like the London red buses that pass the ground, Welling United swiftly added a third goal with 37 minutes and 28 seconds on the clock.

Sam Hatton swung in free-kick from the left and an unmarked Waldren headed in past Mant from six-yards.

“Danny’s very good in the air, shown at Ebbsfleet and again today,” said Day.

“He wants to go and attack it and he wants to score goals.  He’s a wholehearted player. If you put the ball in good areas, Sam’s got a fantastic delivery, then we’re going to create chances and score goals – so pleased for Danny.”

Sounding like a broken record, Lane replied: “Another free header! We said to the defence to push up on their free-kicks because we thought they were going to put them under the crossbar but for some reason they didn’t listen, they sat on Joe’s toes and there’s no way he can come through a lot of players and he had a free header again.”

When asked his thoughts at this point, Lane replied: “You’re thinking damage limitation at that point! You’re thinking maybe do we go back more defensive but we stuck to our guns and we thought let’s still have a go at them and try to get the three forwards in behind and that’s what we did at the end.”

Clinical Welling United added their fourth goal with 41 minutes and 39 seconds on the clock.

Dave Cook’s slip some 35-yards from goal proved costly as he lost the ball to Coombes who charged in on goal  through the heart of the pitch.  Hythe keeper Mant decided to stay rooted inside his six-yard box and the Welling striker slotted his right-footed shot across the keeper, the ball nestling into the bottom far corner.

Day said: “It was good pressure from the boys. A little bit unlucky for Cookie, slipped but I think we invited a bit of pressure that put us in that situation and the way Coombsie is in front of goal at the minute, he’s very confident, when he went through you expect him to score, not expect him, he’s going to minimum work the keeper but pleased he scored, a very good finish.”

When asked about Mant’s positioning, Lane said: “I suppose when he’s coming through he’s got two options. He either rushes him and makes his mind up for him – or stand up big and go one way or the other. He decided to stand big.  I don’t think he could do any more than that really and he’s tucked it in the corner. It’s a good finish.”

Hythe Town’s consolation goal arrived with 44 minutes and 3 seconds on the clock.

Welling left-back Jordon Brown fed the ball to Waldren, who slipped and Ryan Johnson floated in a cross from the right which flashed past Liam King in the middle.  May pounced on the ball and steered his left-footed shot past Lewington to find the bottom near corner from six-yards.

“You can’t fault the lad, he had a quiet game today but he’s ended up with the goal, which he does more often or not for us,” said Lane.

“Fair play to the guy, he gets himself in the right position and he will score.

“I think everybody knows there’s plenty of interest at the moment. I don’t know what’s been discussed between any club and which other clubs may be interested but he’s just got to keep turning in the performances and turning in the goals. He’s scoring a few goals at the moment so I’ll be very surprised if other club’s aren’t looking at him.”

Day added: “I think Jordon set it back to Danny and he had a slip.  It was a good cross from Johnno to be fair to him.  We just switched off a little bit and Alfie’s got good movement and he knows where the goal is and he showed that today.”

When asked his thoughts at the break, Day replied: “It was just about keeping going. It was a little bit sloppy to concede when we did but it was just about being professional in the second half, not taking too many touches on the ball and moving the ball quickly and when we got another opportunity to try to take it.”

When asked what the mood was like in the away dressing room, Lane replied: “The away dressing room was a bit despondent, obviously when you’re 4-1 down but we just wanted to get back into the game.  We had a chat in terms of defensive performance and in terms of the three lads in midfield maybe tucking in and plugging the holes in the middle of the park and come out and just try to get the next goal if we could.”

Hythe Town started the second half on the front foot but they lacked the quality to call Lewington into action after 95 seconds.

Cook intercepted the ball and played the ball out wide to the left to King, who cut inside but dragged his right-footed shot past the near post from the corner of the penalty area.

Welling United killed the game off with a fifth goal, timed at 7 minutes and 9 seconds on the clock.

Harry Crawford pinged a delightful 60-yard diagonal pass to Nanetti, who cut inside and his driven shot was blocked by Burchell for a corner.

Hatton swung in the home side’s first corner of the game from the right and no one picked up Waldren, who planted another free-header, into the top right-hand corner from three-yards out at the near post.

Day added: “Good delivery from Sam and Danny’s attacked it, like we said before and he will do and we’ve got goals from it, so it was nice just to get that and get another go in front again.”

An eagle eyed Lane, replied: “We were watching from the bench. Danny Waldren sneaks in, he’s not even marked. He comes from about five or six yards from outside of the area, nobody picks him up. A great ball in, free header, there’s your goal. Poor defending because no one’s picked him up!”

Hatton’s second corner was played short to Nanetti, who cut into the penalty area before drilling his shot high and wide of the target.

Hythe Town struck the underside of the crossbar on the hour-mark through substitute Kenny Pogue.

Sam Adams swung in their second of five corners (Welling only had a three) from the right and Pogue rose in a crowded penalty box to plant his header off the underside of the crossbar and Welling survived a scramble.

Lane said: “We’ve had a couple of them over the last two or three weeks where it's hit the bar and bounced down and we just haven’t even managed to finish it off. It’s an almighty scramble and if you get a goal there, you’re not realistically in the match but it gives you a bit of solace.”

Day added: “That’s just the little things where we’ve switched off defensively and we’ve done that all through the course of the season and today we got away with it a little bit and that’s something that we need to work on, just to be more ruthless, not just the attacking box but defensive box and we want to be keeping clean sheets and we can’t be switching off.”

Another glaring chance was missed by Pogue in the 64th minute.

Burchell played the ball up from left-back, Cook flicked the ball on and Pogue flicked his volley straight at Lewington from 10-yards.

Hythe Town faced a mountain to climb when Saunders was sent-off following his second booking, for a foul in midfield on Hatton.

Lane had no complaints, adding: “I think when you look at it, it was two bookable offences. He’s gone to ground, the first one he was a little bit late to say the least. He was a bit lucky later on when he could’ve been booked.  It’s always got that in him Saundo. He does put himself about but the problem when you’re playing against higher league sides, they can read the ball a little bit quicker and if you don’t stand on your feet you’re going to have the same problem he has where he gets himself sent off.

“I’m thinking, it’s trying to close the game out and hopefully you’re not going to concede more goals,” added Lane when asked how he was feeling.

“We tried to go 4-5-1 but it didn’t quite work and some of them has got to go down to the players, they didn’t take what we told them on board and we’ll think about that on Tuesday.”

Day added: “Chris is Chris. He was here before and played here. I don’t think there was any real intent and I think it was two tackles that were mistimed and he got sent off.”

A low cross from the right from Welling sub Ali Fuseini was met by Oakley, who slid his shot past the far post from six-yards.

Johnson delivered a deep cross into the Welling box where the referee awarded Hythe a corner despite Pogue appearing to flick his shot past the far post.

Fish advanced into Hythe’s half to whip in a driven cross towards the far post which Hatton got in behind Charlie Webster and Nick Reeves to steer his shot across goal and agonisingly past the foot of the far post from six-yards.

Fish issued Hythe Town a warning when his angled drive forced Mant to dive full-length to his right to make a fine save to deny the Welling right-back in the 80th minute.

Hythe Town capitulated by conceding three further goals in the final 10 minutes.

Fish cut into the penalty area down the right hand side and lashed a stunning left-footed drive across Mant screaming into the top far corner with 35 minutes and 58 seconds on the clock.

“Since I’ve been here Matt Fish has been excellent,” said Day.

“Those performances have been right up there, been very consistent and he’s got loads of energy. I’m really pleased with his performance again today and the goal rounded it off, it was a very good goal.”

Lane added: “Great finish, to be fair. There’s nothing you can do about that. That’s come from our free-kick or corner at the top end of the pitch and they’ve broke on us and he’s finished it really well.”

Fuseini slipped the ball into Nanetti, who released Williams through on goal and the pacy striker, who has scored 14 goals in a poor Fisher team at the foot of the Southern Counties East Football League, was initially denied by Mant, but he kept his composure to slam the ball into the back of the net for a dream debut goal, timed at 41 minutes and 6 seconds.

“Trey is someone who’s been on the radar, come into training. He’s got very good movement. He’s been at QPR as a kid and he went out to America and played and he’s been at Fisher,” said Day.

“People who know me know I like to give young lads an opportunity and a chance and he’s come on and had an impact on the game, which is really good.”

Lane added: “I think that just about sums it up! Manty made a good save and it falls straight to him again and he puts it, fair play to the lad, he stayed around after he hit the first shot and put it in the back of the net.”

Mant was called into action, diving full-length to his right to deny Fish scoring from another long-range effort.

“He made a great save to his right-hand side and got both hands to it and pushed it away for a corner,” said Lane, who then came out with the strangest quote of the season.

“To be fair to Joe he hasn’t had a bad game. I know he’s let in eight but he hasn’t had a really bad game today. It sounds weird, being a goalkeeper that’s what you will say but none of the goals were his fault particularly, I thought he played quite well today.”

Welling United completed the scoring with an eighth goal with virtually the last kick of the game, the goal timed at 45:59 – fourth official Tom Fell had signalled one minute of added on time.

Hatton released Oakley, who sped past last-man Reeves and as he cut into the penalty area Mant made the job easier by landing on his backside and Oakley dinked the ball over him and into the back of the net.

“Really pleased for George because he worked his socks off,” said Day.

“He’s not playing in his favoured position (he’s playing) out wide because he is a centre forward, I know that. It’s a little bit frustrating for him but he put an absolute shift in again today and I’m glad that he’s got a goal at the end because he deserved it.”

Lane added: “I think he did exactly what he had to do. He sat the keeper down on his backside and dinked it over. By then he’s one-on-one. Joe’s got to make a decision to come at him but he finished it well.”

Welling United face a crucial Christmas as they play two teams immediately above them in the Vanarama National League South.

Concord Rangers visit Park View Road next Saturday, before it’s the back-to-back Kent clashes against Margate (away on 26 December, home on 1 January) – three must win games.

“We’re not getting carried away. I can’t praise the boys highly enough of what they’ve done so far in the games where they’ve been under me as manager but we’ll definitely won’t rest on it,” said Day.

“We know there’s going to be times when we get beaten and we have to bounce back and show the same work-rate, desire and all they have done.  We’ve just got to keep it going now and hopefully pick up more wins than we do losses and get out of the relegation slot.”

Welling United have banked a total of £9,000 in prize money after beating Concord Rangers and Hythe Town in The Buildbase FA Trophy this season.

Day said: “The club needs it. It’s nice to pick up the bonuses along the way so it goes back into the club so hopefully we can get another nice draw at home then you never know, but it’s all about momentum and confidence and the boys are slowly getting there and they’ve been excellent and hopefully we can keep that going.

“Wembley? It will be nice. First and foremost I want to get out of the relegation slot but if we can do that then that’s an added bonus for me.”

For Hythe, it’s some soul-searching at training during the week ahead of their trip to fourth-placed Carshalton Athletic in seven days’ time.

“As a management team we’ll sit down and analyse the goals and we’ll do some work on the training pitch in terms of defending and I’ll do my sessions with the keepers and we’ll work through that as a unit and do some play and see where we go from there but we’ve got some ideas on what we’ve got to do,” said Lane.

“But we have to put our heads around it, forget about it and move on.  Thankfully this wasn’t a league game so that’s the positive we take out of it.”

This run has brought in £12,450 in prize money, which covers the £13,000 in lost revenue from not playing Folkestone Invicta this season, which was confirmed by the chairman pre-match.

“I’m sure the chairman’s very happy, we’ll happy to a point. We’ve done well in The FA Trophy, done well in The FA Cup so it’s so disappointing that it ended and the way it ended.”

Welling United: Chris Lewington, Matt Fish, Jordon Brown, Sam Hatton, Rickie Hayles (Rian Bray 46), Sean Francis, Christian Nanetti, Danny Waldren (Ali Fuseini 68), Harry Crawford, Adam Coombes (Trey Williams 67), George Oakley.
Subs: Harry Girling, Archie Johnson

Goals: Adam Coombes 19 (penalty), 42, Christian Nanetti 35, Danny Waldren 38, 53, Matt Fish 81, Trey Williams 89, George Oakley 90

Booked: Harry Crawford 26, Danny Waldren 49

Hythe Town: Joe Mant, Charlie Webster, Josh Burchell, Chris Saunders, Ryan Johnson, Nick Reeves, Dave Cook, Sam Adams, Frankie Sawyer (Kenny Pogue 46), Alfie May, Liam King (Alex Mulrooney-Skinner 57).
Subs: Ben Wilson, Giorgio Russo, Sam May

Goal: Alfie May 45

Booked: Chris Saunders 26, Dave Cook 37

Sent Off: Chris Saunders 65

Attendance: 355
Referee: Mr Andrew Laver (Portsmouth, Hampshire)
Assistants: Mr Mike Desborough (Fareham, Hampshire) & Mr Martin Bloor (Lymington, Hampshire)
Fourth Official: Mr Tom Fell (East Ham, London E6)


Coverage Sponsored by: