Thamesmead Town 1 Sevenoaks Town 1

Monday 23rd January 2006

The Mead finished top of Group D with this result and ensured a home draw in the Quarter Finals where depending on other results they will entertain either Hythe Town Erith & Belvedere or Herne Bay, writes Gary Dillon.

With qualification already assured Thamesmead took advantage to look at a couple of their reserve and youth team players

The Mead got of to a great start as the took complete control of the match with and within five minutes they found the back of the net, Sammy Thomas picked the ball up in his own half and ghosted past three players before realising Rikki Cable who still had work to do an exquisite touch took him past the last defender and he calmly slotted the ball past the Oaks keeper.

For the next 20 minutes it looked only a matter of how many Mead would score but resolute defending and excellent goal keeping kept Thamesmead out. In particular, a point blank save by Green, from Pedro Knights 15 yard strike.

Youth team player Reece Walker looked extremely comfortable in central midfield and he went close on 28 minutes when Lewis Wood’s clever pass saw him with only the keeper to beat but his shot went wide.

Mead looked comfortable with a single goal lead although this was a much improved Sevenoaks team since Derek Moore and Bob Pittaway have taken charge.

The introduction Ibroma Oruwari, freshly signed from Dulwich Hamlet into the attack, on the hour, coincided with skipper Dean Kearly departing who had marshalled  the defence superbly and Oaks sensed a least a point could be taken.

Mead gave a debut appearance to reserve team forward Lewis Ambrose who injected some life into what was becoming a very subdued match with some good movement and runs.

With only five minutes remaining Mead gave away a needless free kick on the half way line and Sevenoaks Mike Cook quickly put in Dominic Websdale he cut inside Danny Evans and his cross was met by Oruwari who easily beat Danny Kemp from 15 yards.

Sevenoaks were to be reduced to 10 men shortly after when Wood’s was needlessly pushed over by Oak’s defender Andy Mills 

After the match manger Paul Blade said:  “With Slade Green denying Beckenham a win we are really pleased to have a home draw in the quarter final and we just have to wait to see who we meet.

"I was pleased with the way our lads adapted to the changes we made and it gave us a chance to look at several players one or two really impressed myself and Keith McMahon”

They will get another chance to look at some of the young blood coming through when they entertain Phoenix Sports on Wednesday night in a friendly, kicking off at 7:45pm, before local rivals VCD Athletic visit Bayliss Avenue next Saturday.