Soccer Shorts: Bromley strengthen squad to continue promotion push

Friday 16th January 2015
Click here for tonight’s Soccer Shorts articles




BROMLEY have unveiled the signings of winger Anthony Cook and striker Ben May, following their release from Ebbsfleet United.

May, 30, the brother of former Bromley striker Jay May, joins Cook, 24, at Hayes Lane after being a number of players to leave their Vanarama Conference South title rivals earlier in the week.

There was a call for manager Mark Goldberg to strengthen the squad following the club’s FA Trophy exit at the hands of Torquay United last weekend following their 4-0 Second Round defeat in Devon and he has acted to keep the club’s title hopes alive.

Co-chairman Derek Reading told www.bromleyfc.net
“Just like our supporters, we understood the need to strengthen our squad in order to continue our push for promotion to the Vanarama Conference Premier. However, in order to complete these signings there will be a couple of departures.”

Highly-rated Cook added: “Bromley has always been a club that I have been fond of. It's good to feel wanted and after being shown around the club and introduced to everyone it was clear to me that Bromley are a club heading in the right direction.

“As a player you want to play an active role in the success of the team you play for.

Mark (Goldberg), Ashley (Reading) and Jerry (Dolke) made me feel at home instantly and I have bought into what the club is doing.

“I can't wait to get started and with the team spirit and talent within the squad it’s the perfect fit and I look forward in playing a pivotal role in the progression of the football club. I can't wait to get started.”

May added: “This was an easy decision for me, it’s clear to see the direction the club is going in. My brother (Jay) couldn’t speak highly enough of the club and everyone involved here from the players and staff to the fans. I can’t wait to get going.”

Both players will be available for selection tomorrow as the Ravens travel to Whitehawk.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC are disappointed to announce that Guy Luzon will not be able to take charge of the team at Watford tomorrow due to issues with his UK work permit.

Following the appointment of the 39-year-old Israeli on Tuesday evening, the Championship club had expected the required paperwork to be finalised in time for the head coach to take his place in the dug-out at Vicarage Road.

However, his work permit was not processed before the required deadline.  

First team coach Damian Matthew and goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts – who were appointed caretakers following Bob Peeters sacking – will not take temporary charge of the side at Watford.

“It is expected that Luzon will receive his work permit next week and make his debut as Addicks boss at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, January 24th (3pm),” added a club statement, which was posted on www.cafc.co.uk.

CHATHAM TOWN have signed attacking midfielder Joe Bingham from Redhill, but have released Kane Philip.

CORINTHIAN have issued a statement, but have yet explained their reasons behind sacking James Collins, 32, but said: “
Corinthian Football Club was established in 1972 as an amateur football club.

“Our principles and commitment to all the players remain unchanged. We expect to provide facilities, coaching and general welfare assistance to assist the players in their transition from youth teams to senior football. This includes not only players from our youth teams, but a number of other talented youngsters that join us at regular intervals.

“The result of this commitment are clear to see. Of the 31 players that have represented Corinthians in the SCEFL this season, 16 have come from within the Corinthian FC youth set up, two of which are still eligible to play u18 football.
Our two senior sides regularly have an average age of under 20 years of age, which confirms the success of the youth set up.

“As always we are planning ahead and at present the club and squad of players is looking healthy for the future.”

DARTFORD have unveiled the signing of striker Christian Doidge, 22, on a month’s loan from League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge.

EBBSFLEET UNITED have confirmed winger Anthony Cook has become the fifth player to agree a contract cancellation this week as he has reached a mutual agreement to depart the club.

The 24-year-old leaves with warm wishes from all at the club after a year and a half in which he excited Fleet supporters, scoring 19 goals in 85 appearances.

Virtually ever-present in his time at the club since arriving from Chelmsford City, Cook had a good rapport with fans but leaves as part of the recent squad reshaping.

Vice chairman Peter Varney told www.ebbsfleetunited.co.uk: “It is always difficult to come to these decisions about players who have appeared so many times for the club and we all wish Anthony the best of luck in wherever he goes next.

“The club and the players are having to make decisions based on what is best for both parties going forward as we adjust the squad. I’m sure all fans will join me in thanking Anthony for all his efforts in a Fleet shirt over the past 18 months.

Cook added: “It is with a heavy heart that today I have left Ebbsfleet United. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the club and would like to wish everyone at the Fleet all the best.

“I’m proud to have represented such a brilliant club and would like to say a special thank you to Steve Brown and Peter Varney.”

Fleet boss Jamie Day has signed Tom Bonner after the 26-year-old turned down an offer to stay at Dover Athletic, following the expiry of his loan spell on the Kent coast from League Two side Cambridge United.

The former Dartford man made 29 appearances for Dover Athletic, scoring once.

Meanwhile, loanee Sean Shields, 22, has made his move to the club permanent following a deal with League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge.

The wide midfielder has agreed an eighteen-month contact at Stonebridge Road and Day said: “Sean is a young talent who I have had the pleasure of working with over the last five weeks.  Once he became available I felt it was right to bring him in long-term. He has a great attitude and wants to develop further.”

FAVERSHAM TOWN boss Ray Turner has confirmed Charley Robertson has returned to the club on loan from Maidstone United for the rest of the season.

The 18-year-old midfielder started all seven games during his month loan spell earlier in the season, scoring three times.

He was a regular for the Stones last season and quickly became a fans’ favourite at the Ryman Premier League club.

However, he has struggled for regular game time this season and largely has been restricted to playing in The Stones League ties.

Turner told www.favershamtownfc.co.uk : “I’m obviously delighted to secure Robertson on a long-term loan.

“I want to thank Jay Saunders for his co-operation and understanding the needs of Charley to play and develop.

“He settled very quickly with the squad when he was with us previously.  He will add quality and competition for places, as we enter the last third of the season.”

HERNE BAY youngster Elliott Cutts has been selected for the England Schools FA final squad after going through five vigorous selection processes.

England will compete in the Centenary Shield with their first game against Wales at Truro City FC on 27th February although the squad will warm up with a friendly against Australia on 4th February.

The Centenary Shield competition will be screened by Sky Sports.

Cutts is a pupil at Simon Langton Grammar School and has also represented England at hockey.

He has played an important part in one of the most successful youth sides in Kent since the age of 12, he and the whole team rising through the age groups at Herne Bay.

Cutts and the team now compete under the Herne Bay FC banner in the Kent Youth League (Premier Division). He has also made several appearances for Herne Bay’s first team in the Ryman League.

“It’s a great honour for Elliot, the club and the players that have worked with him,” said Ben Smith, the club’s under 18 manager.

He told the club’s website: “He has always had great potential and has made massive improvements in the last few seasons.

“Pro clubs have looked at him in the past but never taken the final step to sign him and maybe his efficiency wasn’t quite there but over the last year or so he has added end product to his game on a consistent basis and I believe he is a player that would flourish given the chance.”

Meanwhile, former Herne Bay player, Rene Armstrong, has also been selected for the England Schools FA Centenary Shield squad.

HYTHE TOWN boss Tim Dixon has unveiled the return of striker Shaun Welford, who has re-signed from Ryman League Division One North strugglers Cray Wanderers.

Dixon told www.hythetownfc.co.uk
“It gives me great pleasure to announce the signing of Shaun Welford.

“Both Darren (Beale) and I have known Shaun for some time now, having been with him at Dover Athletic where he had one of many impressive spells in his career.

“I remember during that time watching Shaun play in a reserves game at Ramsgate and after scoring a hat-trick, I recommended him to then Dover manager Andy Hessenthaler who at the time was looking for a striker.

“Since that time at Dover he has also enjoyed massive success for Maidstone Untied and Hythe Town amongst others, before starting this season at Cray Wanderers.”

“His goalscoring record speaks for itself, but he will give us much more than that. His presence in the dressing room, his passion and enthusiasm is infectious and if you were going into battle you’d have him on your shoulder, well, we are in a battle.”

Welford’s record for the Cannons last season was a stunning 38 goals in 51 appearances, including a hat-trick in each of the last two games of the season.

The news follows hot on the heels of Ashley Miller’s departure to Folkestone Invicta, after Neil Cugley made a recent seven-day approach.

Dixon said: “Sadly we lost Ashley to Folkestone as well this week, but Shaun became an immediate target. His experience is very important as well and you only have to look at the impact Paul Booth had at Folkestone recently, I see Shaun doing something similar here not only for the rest of this season, but the season after as well.

“He and his family love the club and he is right up for his next challenge with the Cannons, welcome home Shaun! I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank Ashley for his time and efforts in his latest spell with the club."

Two other new faces added to the squad last week were winger, Rhys Lawson and defender, Joe Kennett.

Lawson returns to the club after making ten appearances during the 2013/14 campaign and scored the ‘Goal of the Season’ on his debut for the club last time out. 

Kennett, meanwhile, is an experienced defender, with Ryman League Division One South experience at Whitstable Town, Herne Bay and Ramsgate.  He has also captained Canterbury City.

Dixon added: “Rhys has played for the Cannons before and is an exciting player who I have been talking to for quite a while and needs little introduction."

"Joe has signed from Whitstable and is a good, honest, hardworking and versatile defender, who will only make us stronger at the back and will no doubt seize his chance when he gets the opportunity.”

MAIDSTONE UNITED boss Jay Saunders has unveiled the arrival of former Ebbsfleet United pair, striker Billy Bricknell, 26, and defender Shane Huke, 29. The pair were released by the Vanarama Conference South club and have decided to drop down a division to play Ryman Premier League football for The Stones.











GLEBE  v  DEAL TOWN
The Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay
Tuesday 22nd August 2017
Kick Off 7:45pm
at Foxbury Avenue, Chislehurst Kent BR7 6SD

THAMESMEAD TOWN  v  CRAY WANDERERS
Kent Reliance Senior Cup First Round
Tuesday 22nd August 2017
Kick Off 7:45pm
at Princes Park Stadium, Darenth Road, Dartford Kent DA1 1RT