Phoenix Sports: Going forward we hope that those in power find ways to reduce the pressure placed upon the fabulous volunteer workforce that are at every club at this level
TWO rule-breaking football club’s have called upon The Football Association to use a better administrative system after being thrown out of competitions after fielding ineligible players.
Phoenix Sports’ FA Cup Second Qualifying Round tie at Southern League side Hendon last Saturday was called off the night before the game at Silver Jubilee Park in Kingsbury after Phoenix Sports were found to have fielded a suspended player in the previous round.
New Rules have come in this season where a player is suspended for one game if he collects two bookings in cup competitions.
Bostik South East Division side Phoenix Sports won 3-0 at Lancing in the replay but were found to have played a suspended player in Sussex and Lancing will now travel to play Hendon in the Second Qualifying Round next Tuesday 2 October.
A Phoenix Sports club statement, which was published on their website said: “On Wednesday 26th September The FA concluded their investigation into us fielding a banned player in the FA Cup First Qualifying Round Replay against Lancing FC.
“As a result of that we were given the devastating news that we have been fined and removed from the competition, with Lancing taking our place in the next round.
“We do have the right to appeal the decision but have decided not to go ahead with that option.
“For The FA investigation we held our hands up to the error and gave the honest reasons for how it occurred. We feel that if we did appeal, the decision would not be changed and would only cause disruption to the planning of the Hendon v Lancing match next week. Neither of those teams deserve that.
“Going forward we hope that those in power find ways to reduce the pressure placed upon the fabulous volunteer workforce that are at every club at this level. Without them there wouldn't be club’s like ours and we certainly appreciate the amazing work that they all do.
“Once again, the best of luck to Lancing, Hendon and all the clubs that remain in the competition, we will take this one on the chin and come back fighting next year when we again compete in the greatest Cup competition in World Football.”
Meanwhile, Hendon have today been charged by The Football Association for fielding an ineligible player in both rounds of The FA Youth Cup that they played in this season.
A Hendon statement, which was published on www.hendonfc.net said: “ We have accepted the charge and will not be contesting it.
“Unfortunately the situation has occurred due to one of our volunteers making a clerical error when registering the player in question at the start of the season. When the error came to light a few days ago, we owned up to the error and explained how it had happened.
“When the hearing takes place on Monday, we fully expect to be removed from the competition and therefore we are not expecting the game against Kings Langley to go ahead on Wednesday evening.
“We are also anticipating a charge from the Southern Counties Youth League, as the player has also appeared in both league games played so far this season.
“As Phoenix Sports have said in their excellent statement today regarding their FA Cup expulsion, we hope that those who run the game are able to find ways to make life easier for the many volunteers who are involved at club’s not only at our level, but at all levels of the game.
“We would like to assure supporters that lessons have been learnt from what has happened and we continue to support all our volunteers in the work they do for our football club.”
Visit Phoenix Sports website: www.phoenixsportsclub.co.uk