Metropolitan Police 3-3 Sittingbourne - Brickies goalkeeper rescues point

Wednesday 18th October 2006

Sittingbourne have shown an ability to bounce back this season but this come-back had an amazing end as the crowd stood transfixed to watch the ample shape of Sittingbourne goalkeeper Steve Williams powering his way to the far post at an injury time Sittingbourne corner and then dinking home a header to draw the game, writes Peter Pitts.

At one time Sittingbourne had been 2 goals down as although they had a good first 20 minutes they fell away and the Met went in to the break a goal to the good thanks to an easy tap in from Simon Gregory at the far post.


Despite the good start by the Brickies the Met were looking dangerous in attack, mainly through Tony Finn, who was causing problems on the left, and the much travelled Ben Abbey.

Finn missed a good chance on 8 minutes when he shot wide of the left hand post and then ten minutes later he adjusted his aim but this time the shot flew across the face of the Brickies goal.

In the meantime Mark Lovell skied an effort over on 19 minutes.

The Met had a great chance to take the lead on 41 minutes when a far post cross picked out Simon Huckle but the Met player inextricably missed what looked like an easy header and Sittingbourne breathed easier..but only for a minute when a long cross into the Brickies area was slotted home by Gregory.

Jon Neal almost made an instant reply for the Brickies but he shot straight at the Met keeper Will Packham.

Sittingbourne began the second half taking the game to the Met. On 52 minutes Andy Doerr, wide on the right, picked up a great ball from Ricky Spiller and fired goalwards but Packham blocked the shot.

Four minutes later Finn had a golden opportunity to increase the Met's lead but this shot too flew across the goal.

Doerr found himself with an opportunity a minute later when Packham was stranded out of his goal but the Brickies leading scorer tapped the ball too far forward and the chance had gone.

At the other end Abbey had a shot deflected for a corner, but the Brickies were now on song and a Lovell shot looked goal-bound until it struck a Met player and sailed over the bar.

Sittingbourne continued to press and Toby Ashmore latched on to a Joe Dowley pass but sent his effort wide, then Lovell had a crashing shot which produced a top class save from Packham.

Despite the Brickies pressure the Met increased their lead on 68 minutes when a looping Finn cross was headed into the top corner of the Brickies net by Abbey for his second.

Sittingbourne hit back within two minutes and what a cracker it was as Doerr struck a powerful 25 yard effort into the corner of the net following a marvellous cross field ball from Ricky Spiller.

Six minutes later Sittingbourne were level when Doerr's shot was blocked but the ball bounced back to Lovell who crashed the ball back and into the net.

The Brickies supporters were delirious and as is customary in most of the away games this season was making far more noise than the home crowd.

Sittingbourne continued to press and a Doerr cross bounced off a Met player for a corner. Then a Kieran Marsh pile driver flew just wide.

This exciting game took another twist with just 5 minutes to go as the Met regained the lead with a bullet header from Abbey for his second.

The home side must have felt that they were home and dry now..that is until the unlikely figure of Williams joined the Brickies players in the Met's penalty area for that injury time corner.

Sittingbourne welcome Arlesey Town to Bourne Park in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy on Saturday.

Sittingbourne: Williams, Ashmore, Dowley, Ainsworth, Neal, Marsh, Searle, Spiller, Lovell, Doerr, Sherwood (Nicholl 34), Subs: Singh, Belcher, Elder

Visit Sittingbourne's website: