Dartford 1 Uxbridge 2 (TONIGHT'S RESULTS)

Tuesday 07th February 2006

Dave Martin 38

Gavin Bamford 9
Mark Nicholls 18

Stephen McCartney reports from Stonebridge Road
Southern League Division One East

Dartford’s proud unbeaten home record, their last season groundsharing at Stonebridge Road, came to an end against their “bogey team” Uxbridge tonight.

The west Londoners have now completed the double over Tony Burman’s side, having won
3-1 on New Years Eve.

Dartford, who were without their top-scorer (12 goals) Ryan Hayes (one match ban), will be without the services of midfielder Steve Hafner against Rothwell Town on Saturday as he was stretchered off late in the game with ankle ligament damage.

Dartford winger Dave Martin almost broke the deadlock when he burst past full-back Steve Waters, but having seen John Peacock off his line, his lob sailed over.

Uxbridge, who arrived at the ground just 30 minutes before kick off due to travel delays, stunned the home faithful - scoring twice in the opening 18 minutes.

Their first, after nine minutes, came when Gavin Bamford deflected Mark Nicholls’ right-footed driven free kick from 28-yards, which crept inside the left post.

Dartford’s ever-present goalkeeper, Kevin Hudson was beaten again from Nicholls’ clinical finish after some good build up play.

John Swift passed low to Lee Tunnell, and with his back to goal, laid the ball for Nicholls to drive home past the diving goalkeeper.

Tunnell then intercepted Dartford midfielder Eddie McClements’ run but Hudson made a low save from his 25-yard effort.

Martin, however, scored his seventh goal of the season in the 38th minute to lift the home fans spirits.

Chasing a loose ball on the right by-line, he brushed aside Jamie Cleary, cut into the penalty area, and from ten yards fired home.

Early in the second half Gavin Bamford tried his luck from distance, following Richard Avery’s headed clearance, but his shot was never going to trouble Hudson.

Then, a snap shot from the edge of the Uxbridge area from Ian Pulman rolled just wide of the near post but you had to wait until the 75th minute for the next chance when Martin’s left-footed drive flashed agonisingly wide of the near post.

Two minutes later, Kent referee Mr Gavin Hoare pointed to the spot when Nicholls was adjudged to have fouled Hafner just inside the box.

But Martin squandered a great chance to claw his side level as his left-footed spot kick ballooned high over the bar and ended up in the empty Plough End terracing.

Uxbridge, however, were reduced to ten men immediately as John Swift was banished to the dressing rooms for swearing at Darts supporters after the crucial penalty miss.

Burman, meanwhile, admitted he was “disappointed with the two goals” his side conceded inside 18 minutes. “I felt tonight too many players were below par but having said that we played against a good, experienced side who showed how to get into young players heads a little bit.

“Although they might be older players they still had a little bit of a go and in some cases they taught us a little bit of a lesson.

“I’ve got no complaints. On the night they were the better side than us to be fair and they looked a little dangerous when they were going forward.”

Looking ahead to their next game, at home to Rothwell Town, Burman, who will be without former Tonbridge Angels and Chatham Town striker Brendan Cass, will be making sure the visitors don’t become the second side to complete the double over them.

“Uxbridge have taken six points off us now and Rothwell are going to come here and they’ve taken three points off us at their place,” he said.

“I think their results have picked up a little bit. It’s another game, we’re playing at home and I want three points at least. We’ve got none tonight so it makes Saturday’s game important.”

Burman then takes his side to Berkhamsted Town on 18th February, a side they drew 1-1 at Stonebridge Road on the first day of October.

The Darts stalwart revealed he watched Saturday’s goalless draw between Uxbridge and Berkhamsted and admitted he was disappointed with his players after they ignored instructions.

An unhappy Burman said: “I went over to Uxbridge on Saturday to watch them play Berkhamsted because we’ve got Berkhamsted the week after and it’s disappointing a few of them didn’t do what I asked them to do especially in the first half hour.”

Dartford: Kevin Hudson, Gary Carter, Tommy Osborne (Capt), Anthony Henry, Richard Avery, Steve Hafner (Brad Potter 85), Ryan Briggs, Ian Pulman (Lee Craig 81), Brendan Cass, Eddie McClements, Dave Martin.
Subs: Craig Maguire, Tommy Olson.

Uxbridge: John Peacock, Steve Waters (Kevin Swift 44), Jamie Cleary, Mark Weedon, Stuart Bamford (Capt), Gavin Bamford, John Swift, Chris O’Leary, Mark Nicholas, Paul Feeley.
Subs: Adrian Dinham, Stuart Finnie, Sean Dawson

Sent off: John Swift 78

Attendance: 254
Referee: Mr Gavin Hoare (Strood)
Assistants: Mr K Stone (Ramsgate) & Mr R Joss (Margate)

To sponsor this LIVE SERVICE please telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360 or email

Tuesday 7th February 2006

John Ullman Kent Senior Cup Quarter-Final

Margate 2 Folkestone Invicta 1

Margate, who have the Kent Senior Cup for the last three seasons, join Bromley, Ramsgate and Gravesend & Northfleet in the semi-finals.

Nationwide Conference South

Welling United 2 Bognor Regis Town 0

Southern League Division One East

Boreham Wood 2 Sittingbourne 0

Dartford 1 Uxbridge 2

Kentish Observer League Division Two

Sittingbourne 0 Greenwich Borough 0

Kentish Observer League Floodlight Trophy

Chatham Town 2 Ashford Town 4

Herne Bay 3 Lordswood 0