Chelmsford City 3-2 Bromley

Sunday 08th January 2006

This was Chelmsford’s second game at their new Melbourne Park ground and they continued their winning run since moving in despite a spirited display from an injury depleted Bromley side who without a win in nearly two months understandably looked short on confidence, writes Colin Head.

City started the brighter, Joe Vines was on hand to clear one attack from the six yard box, but in general Bromley looked more solid at the back playing 4-4-2.

Chelmsford did most of the pressing, but The Ravens looked promising on the break and could have created more of they had held on to the ball in midfield more.

On 25 minutes Bromley took the lead with one of these breaks, Ashley Carew played a marvellous ball to Nic McDonnell who nipped in took the ball past the Keeper and slotted home.

Sadly Bromley couldn’t settle on their lead and the home side were level on 33 minutes when Tutu Henriques was caught out and Jamie Richard lobbed Andy Walker from the edge of the box.

The nervous looking Ravens were then pinned back until half time, Walker saved well from Williams and Colin Luckett cleared one off the line from a corner.

The second half started evenly with the play flowing from end to end, Walker saved well from Ricky Holmes before Bromley received massive blow when top scorer McDonnell was carried off with a nasty looking injury and was replaced by the hard working Wade Falana.

A brief rally by The Ravens saw Gavin King tip over a Gary Drewett cross and Des Boateng shot just over from the corner, but the pattern of the half was Chelmsford attacking and Bromley launching promising breaks out of defence.

On 65 minutes the home side took the lead for the first time, Bromley lost possession near their own box and Walker was unable to gather the ball as Michael Haswell ran through and rolled the ball into an empty net.

City pinned The Ravens back for a period, Walker saved from Alex Fiddes, but eventually Bromley cracked under the pressure and a long cross from the left was headed home by Holmes with 13 minutes remaining.

At 3-1 down it looked like Bromley could be in for a real thrashing, but they showed great spirit in fighting back and Carew made it 3-2 with a fierce low drive from the edge of the box.

The Ravens had a late spell of pressure pushing for an equaliser but they couldn’t find a way through and their worrying run of eight league games without a win is a big concern as the club slides down the Ryman Premier League table.

* Bromley travel to Braintree Town on Tuesday night before Walton & Hersham visit Hayes Lane next Saturday, 14th January.



Chelmsford City: King, Smith, Haswell, Southon, Edwards, Williams, Fiddes, Hopkins, Richards, Boot, Watson. Subs: Sobers, Holmes, Moralee, Davis.      


Bromley: Walker, Henriques, Luckett, Vines, Locke, Boateng, Drewett, Awuah, McDonnell, Carew. Subs: Gardner, Falana, Marino, Parker.