Billericay Town 2 Bromley 2

Sunday 12th March 2006

This was the classic game of two halves at The New Lodge with the home side dominating the first period and Bromley surging back into things in the second and grabbing a point in the last minute.

Billericay Town flew out of the traps and put Bromley under pressure straight away, Nathan Elder shot just wide and Andy Walker made a great save from Lee Hodges as the home side over whelmed the Kent side.

Bromley finally settled into the pace of the game and once again it was Sam Wood who was the main attacking threat down the left wing, but they never tested the home goalkeeper.

Billericay really pushed again as the half went on and it was Joe Flack who put them in front on 24 minutes when he latched on to a low cross from the left.

Elder shot just over, but Bromley kept it down to one and kept themselves in the game, just!

The second half saw Adam Greenaway replace Barry Gardner and Allan McLeod slot into the right back position for some extra stability.

Bromley caused the home side some worries from the off with Wood shooting just over and Simon Mitchell firing narrowly wide, but it was then the Billericay struck with Daniel Brown crashing the ball into the roof of the net from a poorly cleared free kick on 54 minutes.

Bromley didn’t quit though and still kept pushing the home side back, Adrian Stone had a shot saved by Dale Brightly and Mitchell fired just over, before being replaced by top scorer Nic McDonnell making his return from a long injury lay off.

As the snow began to fall heavily Walker made a good stop from Elder and the referee Mr McGill turned down a shout for handball, but it was Bromley who were doing virtually all the attacking.

A fantastic run by Wood saw the ball fly across the six yard box and ‘Ricay centre back Brown deflected it wide of his own post!

However, from the resulting corner McDonnell bundled the ball in from close range to throw Bromley a lifeline with ten minutes to go.

The Ravens then went all out for an equaliser Wood ht the bar, McDonnell had the rebound cleared off the line and from the resulting corner McDonnell had a penalty shout turned down for a push before Gary Drewett was denied by Brightly.

It was the next corner that finally saw Bromley grab their point when another scramble in the goal mouth was converted by McDonnell inside the final minute.

Bromley almost grabbed a winner inside stoppage time when a wicked corner from Gary Drewett was headed just over the bar by Des Boateng, who rose above all the defenders.

Billericay Town visit Hayes Lane in the Westview Cup Semi-Final first leg on Tuesday night.

If the club would like to rethink about their decision to deny this website access to matches at Hayes Lane, then we'll be delighted to cover it.

Billericay Town: Brightly, Henty, Kerrigan, Brown, McSweeney, Dormer, Simmons, Hunter, Elder, Hodges. Subs: Poole, D Collins, A Collins, Millard.

Bromley: Walker, McLeod, Luckett, Henriques, Willy, Gardener, Drewett, Boateng, Stone, Mitchell, Wood. Subs: Vines, McDonnell, Greenaway.