Beckenham Town 3-3 Whitstable Town

Saturday 21st October 2006
Saturday 21st October 2006
Kent League
Stephen McCartney reports from Eden Park Avenue 

Whitstable Town lost their 100% record at Eden Park Avenue today as Beckenham Town recovered from a 2-0 deficit at the break to claim a deserved point in front of their highest crowd of the season.

Whitstable went into this game having won all of their seven Kent League games and found themselves 2-0 up at the interval – but against the run of play.

Stunning strikes from Andy Constable and Michael Adcock, from only their two attempts on goal during the first 45 minutes, was unjust on the home side, who went into this game having scored 31 goals from their previous 12 games.

So you knew Beckenham would score, and two goals in a space of six second half minutes from Ross Cable and Nick Curren brought them level just before the hour mark.

But Constable’s fifth goal of the season gave clinical Whitstable the lead and after having Ashley Carew sent off for his second yellow card, Beckenham deservedly drew level inside the second minute of stoppage time through Jones Awuah’s eighth goal of the campaign.

Beckenham dominated the first half and their slick passing, on a vastly improved playing surface, was causing the Oystermen problems.

But all they had to show was two shots from the edge of the penalty box from former Thamesmead Town and Faversham Town striker Cable inside the opening 12 minutes.

Cable was, however, instrumental in Beckenham’s next chance after 27 minutes, when he cut inside from the right, but Fewell saved comfortably from Awuah’s poor attempt.

Paul O’Donague’s ball over the top of Whitstable’s defence was then cut back by Tony Sinclair into Carew’s path, but the ball curled over Fewell’s crossbar from 30-yards.

But Whitstable stole the lead just a minute later, from their first shot on goal, after 33 minutes.

Constable latched onto Michael Lane’s through ball and unleashed a right-footed screamer from the edge of the box, which flew over former Millwall goalkeeper Alan Brookes and into the top far corner.

The travelling Oysterboys were celebrating again five minutes later when Adock scored his second goal of the season.

Brookes dropped Tom Parker’s free-kick from the left and Adock was on hand at the far post to rifle a shot into the top far corner from an acute angle.

Whitstable manager Marc Seager was forced to replace defender Jackson Ohakam, 18, famously called Jackson “Five” by Gravesend & Northfleet boss Liam Daish during his pre-season spell at Stonebridge Road, due to picking up a shoulder injury, and Alex Hossick in the opening stages of the second half.

Beckenham issued their visitors a warning when Chris Barrett glanced Jason Rose’s long throw into Fewell’s grateful arms, but two goals in six minutes turned the game on it’s head.

Cable had his back to goal before turning and rolling a shot past Fewell from eight yards to pull a goal back on 53 minutes.

Then Barrett played a superb long cross from inside his own half into the penalty area and Curren peeled off his marker to flick the ball past Fewell.

Beckenham then went for the kill and they almost took the lead when Danny Lawson’s cross from the right was met on a hooked volley by Ted Hart, but the ball flew over the bar from 12-yards.

But Beckenham were dealt a blow in the 65 th minute when Carew was shown his second yellow card and was then told by Bexleyheath referee Mr Lehany to vacate his seat in the dug-out and have an early shower instead.

Whitstable, however, stole the lead again just a minute later.  Parker sent in another free-kick from the right and Constable produced another exquisite finish from ten-yards, rolling the ball into the far corner past Brookes who was rooted to the spot.

Whitstable were then content to soak up all the pressure the home side threw at them, but they really should have wrapped up the win with seven minutes left.

Parker played the ball down the left-flank for substitute Marlon Button to twist and turn on the by-line.

He cut the ball back to his skipper Marcus Perona, whose 18-yard drive was brilliantly tipped over by Brookes.

With Beckenham playing three men up front, Seager sacrificed Constable up front and former Dartford defender Gary Carter became the fifth man in the Whitstable wall.

But they were made to pay as Beckenham deservedly drew level 113 seconds into stoppage time.

Substitute Charlie Hawkes, the smallest player on the pitch, sent in their seventh corner of the game, and this was met by a powerful downward header from O’Donogue and Awuah was on hand to stab the ball home.


Beckenham Town:  Alan Brookes, Danny Lawson, Tony Sinclair, Jason Rose, Paul O’Donogue, Chris Barrett (Charlie Hawkes 69), Nick Curren (Jamie Turner 82), Ted Hart, Jones Awuah, Ross Cable, Ashley Carew.  Subs: Tommy Ellis, Billy Hughes, Danny Harris.

Goals: Ross Cable 53, Nick Curren 59, Jones Awuah 90

Sent off: Ashley Carew 65

Whitstable Town:  Kevin Fewell, Gary Sayer, Tom Parker, Michael Adcock, Jackson Ohakam (Rob Thomas 50), Alex Hossick (Marlon Button 53), Michael Lane, Marcus Perona, Steve Marshall, Andy Constable (Gary Carter 89), Jake Gess. 
Subs: Stuart King, Stuart Harrison.

Goals: Andy Constable 33, 66, Michael Adcock 38

Attendance: 140
Referee:  Mr M Lehany (Bexleyheath)
Assistants: Mr D Sumner (Tunbridge Wells) & Mr A Anthony (Balham, London)