Beckenham Town 0 Hythe Town 0

Sunday 12th March 2006

Beckenham Town dropped two vital points in their quest for promotion on Saturday against Hythe Town who put up a solid defensive performance against the leagues leading scorers, writes Ian Muir.

Despite having nearly all the possession Beckenham could not turn that advantage into goals.

Expectations were high, when, inside the first minute Beckenham had two clear cut chances but from then on Hythe put ten men behind the ball and it was clear that the visitors had come to Eden Park Avenue without an attacking strategy.

The home side were quick to get the passing going but did not have much time on the ball as Hythe had crowded the middle out.

Paul Vines produced a superb shot from the edge of the area but found the keeper in fine form.

However, it was hard to keep track on Beckenham’s chances as they mounted attack after attack.

A goal line scramble saw Hudson just get a touch to the ball before it was smothered by the keeper.

Hythe were content to sit back and their only goal attempts were from long range that went high and wide.

A series of clumsy challenges by the visitors produced three yellow cards.

Beckenham continued to pour forward and as half time approached Martin was clear through only to be hacked down on the edge of the area and from the resultant free kick Junior Kadi skimmed the post.

It would surely only be a question of time before Beckenham would produce a goal in probably the most one-sided first half witnessed at Eden Park this season.

Within a minute of the restart Beckenham should have gone ahead when Hudson tried an overhead kick but was left flattened too the ground, his reaction cost him a yellow card while the initial challenge went unseen by the ref to further add to the afternoon’s frustration.

It was Ellis Green on the other flank who had the next chance of the match, firing just over after running on to a Daniels pass. Peter Adeniyi then ran through from inside his half only to be pulled down again on the edge of the area, Kadi once again blasting his free-kick just wide.

Gavin Rose’s side continued to apply constant pressure with another chance falling to Ahwan who’s powerful header from a Martin corner was blocked on the line.

Vines was forced to shoot from range as space inside the box was virtually non existent.

With 20 minutes remaining on the clock Beckenham went three at the back then five minutes later forward Price came on to make it five up front for Beckenham this tactic only forced the visitors back further and in injury time Sinclair rattled the cross bar with a header.

In the dying seconds with all Town’s players up field Hythe broke away in their first real chance and had a shot that hit the post.

The final whistle brought the curtain down on the only scoreless Premier Division match at Eden Park Avenue this season. Beckenham were the far more positive side but put in a below par performance by the teams own high standards.

In many matches this season at Eden Park Avenue the visitors have shut up shop against the a Beckenham Town side who have scored over 100 goals this season, while other sides have contributed to a great afternoons entertainment.

Beckenham now face a run of five away games starting with Sevenoaks Town on 21st March followed by Maidstone United on the 25th.

Beckenham Town: Rob Tolfrey, Errison Ahwan, Tony Sinclair, Asher Hudson, Jake Daniels, Junior Kadi, Peter Adeniyi, Gavin Rose, Ryan Martin, Ellis Green.
Paul Vines.
Subs: Aliy Kyezu, Carlton Price. Cedric Meeko, Jamie Cheeseman, Dean Lodge.