Thursday 01st September 2005
Smith puts Bromley on the right track
Croydon 0-1 Bromley
Ryman League Division One South
Saturday 16 August 2003
Stephen McCartney, Editor of reports from Croydon Sports Arena
Bromley got their Ryman League campaign off to a winning start at Croydon Sports Arena with a tentative single goal victory over local rivals Croydon.
Bromley made the short trip to Croydon on the opening day of last season and a late Adolph Amoako strike salvaged a point in a 1-1 draw.
Bromley gained only one point from their first four league games last term, and after this victory, Bromley manager Stuart McIntyre admitted he was delighted with the three points, this time around.
The first twenty minutes were tentative, with the first goalscoring chance coming after 21 minutes when Croydon's Danny Cecil headed wide of the left upright, completely unmarked at the far post from Michael Ebanks corner.
Craig Dundas fired a 28 yard effort over Bromley goalkeeper Danny Harwood's crossbar seven minutes later.
Bromley's first real chance came after 32 minutes when Joe Wade delivered a free kick towards the far post where Bromley central defender, Joe Vines, downward header was comfortably saved by James Mercer.
Bromley had to wait until three minutes into stoppage time for their next notable effort on goal, and once again it came from Wade's free kick.  He swept in the ball towards the far post and Tony Reid's header bounced its way into Mercer's arms.
The second half came to life and Croydon had the first chance of the half when Dundas, inside the Bromley penalty area, played the ball back for Chris Walsh, who should have done better than a sliced shot that went out along the touchline instead of crashing into Harwood's net.
Bromley manager Stuart McIntyre brought on last season's leading goalscorer, Adolph Amoako for Bobby George at the break, and Amoako made an immediate impact on the sterile game after 50 minutes.
Amoako's industry on the ball around the Croydon penalty area, when his buzzing run was surrounded by Croydon defenders, saw the youngster feed the ball to his right and former Croydon midfielder, David Smith lashed the ball into the Croydon net with a fierce first time strike.
Croydon went close three minutes later when Ebanks whipped in a free kick into the Bromley six yard box from the left and missed everyone in the crowded danger area.
Both goalkeepers were called into action just before the hour mark. 
Bromley goalkeeper Harwood dived to his left saving from Walsh's eighteen yard volley and at the other end Mercer was tested from Tommy Ellis' bullet header following Kirk Watts cross from the left flank.
Harwood made another fine save, in the 59th minute from Croydon dangerman Dundas.  The talented striker struck a low drive towards the bottom left hand corner of Bromley's net but Harwood grasped the shot.
Amoako went close for Bromley after 64 minutes when his whippet pace beat the last defender.  Mercer made a fine save blocking the low shot with his legs and the ball bounced wide of the right stick.  From Kirk Watts' corner, substitute Michael Harney headed wide.
With eighteen minutes left on the clock, fine passing from Bromley's talented players saw David Smith shoot straight at Mercer.
Shortly afterwards, Reid headed wide of Croydon's goal whilst under pressure, but the final ten minutes the Trams  threw everything at Bromley with long balls, but Bromley's back four of Mark Willy, Dean Forbes, Joe Vines and Steve Potterill were solid as a rock.
Forbes and Dundas had a good fair battle during the game, and the only time Dundas beat his marker was in the 85th minute but Forbes made a fair last ditch tackle inside the Bromley penalty area.
Another swept in Ebanks free kick was headed wide by their central defender, Ochea Ikpa before Harney delivered a corner for Bromley late in the game but Reid headed narrowly wide of the left upright.
Bromley hero, 19 year old, David Smith, who played for Croydon in last season's opening day clash with Bromley, was delighted after the game.  He said:  "On a personal note, it was fantastic for me, not only to score for Bromley against my old club, and to put one over them.  It was fantastic to get a result on the first day of the season and I am happy for myself and the rest of the team."
This victory sets Bromley up for Tuesday's clash at Hayes Lane against Lewes (7.45pm) 
Croydon:  James Mercer, Rob Fraser, Michael Ebanks, Mark Cecil (James Cecil HT), Tom Smith, Danny Cecil (Stuart Read 68), Chris Walsh, Mark Sims (Kris Hollidge 65), Craig Dundas, Ochea Ikpa.  Subs: Levi Coleman.
Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Tommy Ellis, Joe Vines, Mark Willy, Dean Forbes, David Smith, Joe Wade (Michael Harney 61), Tony Reid, Bobby George (Adolph Amoako HT), Kirk Watts.  Subs:  Andy Hunt (GK), Grant Watts, John Butler
REFEREE:  Frank Meilack - controlled the game, showing only two yellow cards, to Michael Ebanks (Croydon) 86 and Bromley's Tony Reid a minute later
Assistants:  Steve Daly and Mr A Patel