Thursday 01st September 2005 - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football

Tuesday 14
September 2004
Ryman League
Division One
Stephen McCartney reports from Hayes Lane
Bromley 1 Solomon Taiwo 32 (pen)
Corinthian Casuals 1 Iain Waghorn 84

Kember substitution makes Bromley look too Casual

Bromley were held to a 1-1 draw to eighth placed Corinthian Casuals at The Clive Christian Stadium in Hayes Lane tonight.

After a disappointing 1-0 defeat at Hastings United on Saturday, Bromley manager Stuart McIntyre made changes to his squad.

However, it was the 71st minute substitution of midfield general and stand-in captain, Paul Kember, that turned the game, and it was no surprise when Casuals deservedly drew level with only six minutes remaining.

Fifth placed Bromley started the opening ten minutes brightly, keeping possession well and visiting, seventeen-year-old goalkeeper, Gareth Williams saw Romuald Boua, on a dual registration with Conference side Gravesend & Northfleet, flash a shot narrowly wide of the target before saving Paul Vines' eight-yard header.

However, the Tolworth side gradually got back into the game and after home wing-back Steve Potterill lost possession on the edge of his penalty area, Iain Waghorn hooked an eighteen yard effort wide.

Three minutes later, lively Casuals winger Jamie Byatt hit a first time shot across the face of goal forcing Boua to clear his lines at the far post.

Bromley, however, took the lead on 32 minutes when Vines' latched onto former Fisher Athletic striker Leroy Huggins' header, cut into the penalty area before being brought down inside the box.

Solomon Taiwo, ran towards the ball, checked his run, before rifling the penalty, right footed, high into the top right hand corner of the net.

Six minutes before the break, Gary Drewett toyed with the visiting full-back before cutting the ball back for Taiwo, who was unlucky not to double his tally, as Williams was forced to back peddle to collect the 18-yard chip from under his own crossbar.

Five minutes after the interval, Bromley goalkeeper Andy Walker easily saved Simon Moore's low 19-yard drive.

At the other end, Huggins, out on the left, delivered a hanging cross towards the far post and Vines' headed agonisingly wide of the far post from inside the six-yard box.

The home side were guilty of spurning three attempts in a good eight minute spell.

Their first effort saw Huggins latch onto a through ball but his low drive was too close to the visiting goalkeeper who saved comfortably.

Taiwo then played a defence splitting pass for Vines to run on to and once again the shot was comfortable for the teenage stopper.

Winger Scott Bennetts then went on a mazy run, played the ball inside to Vines, on the left, whose cross picked out Huggins at the far post but his header was off target.

Once tough tackling Kember made way for quiet Tutu Henriques with 19 minutes remaining, spaces opened up for the visitors to exploit.

Taiwo lost possession on the edge of his own penalty area and Shergold played the ball inside to Moore whose 24-yarder forced Walker into action tipping the shot over the bar.

Byatt's 25-yard snap shot tested the home goalkeeper before the Casuals scored a deserved leveller with six minutes remaining.

Byatt's cross from the right by-line took Walker out of the game, as he tried to rush from the near post to the far, and Waghorn bundled the ball home from close range at the far post.

The visitors looked the more likely to score the winning goal late on, but Walker denied Waghorn and Byatt.

Bromley: Andy Walker, Steve Potterill, Sam Okafor, Romuald Boua, Paul Kember (Capt, Tutu Henriques 71), Danny Arkwright, Gary Drewett (Ahmet Suleymanoglu 75), Solomon Taiwo, Paul Vines (Adolph Amoako 87), Leroy Huggins, Scott Bennetts.  Subs: Dean Frost, Chris Hill

Corinthian Casuals: Gareth Williams, Jamie Heath, Jay Gasson, Joe Frimpong, Chris Horwood, Tony Blunt, Simon Shergold (Capt, Chris Malik 79), Gavin Cartwright, Simon Moore (Jamie Goodwin 90), Iain Waghorn, Jamie Byatt.  Subs: Alex Rodrigues, Nick Brown, Dave Hyatt

Referee: Mr M E Links
Assistants: Mr N A Lugg & Mr P Lockley