Thursday 01st September 2005
Saunders takes positives as Carshalton scrape through
Carshalton Athletic 3-1 Bromley
Saturday 1 November 2003
FA Trophy First Round
by Stephen McCartney,

Colin Luckett was stretchered off the Colston Avenue pitch with fifteen minutes remaining after the former Kingstonian FA Trophy winner was disgracefully tackled by Carshalton Athletic defender Justin Bowen on the edge of the centre circle.

The cruel challenge sparked off a mini-brawl as Luckett laid in agony and was a cause of concern to Bromley’s management and physio and play was held up for several minutes.

Once Luckett left the pitch, referee Mr G Evetts spoke to John Wilfort (Bromley) and Kunle Olusesi before he brandished only a yellow card to Bowen for a challenge that warranted a straight red card.

Worse was to follow for Bromley as substitute Michael Harney was only allowed onto the pitch two minutes after Luckett’s departure, and Wilfort was shown a straight red card inside injury time, which led to the hosts scoring their third goal.

Bromley right back, Danny Smith pulled Des Boateng back and the referee awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area on the left hand side.  It is alleged Boateng retaliated but the referee showed a straight red card to Wilfort.

From Neil Lebihan’s free kick the evergreen Conrad Kane scored past Danny Harwood to send the hosts into the second round, but had Bromley taken their many chances it would have been Eddie Saunders’ side in the second round.

Carshalton, second in the Ryman Premier Division table, however, got off to a flying start by taking a sixth minute lead.  Colin Hartburn’s corner found an unmarked Matt York and his looping header found the top right hand corner of the Bromley net.

Bromley went close two minutes later when a perfect delivery from Jason McKoy down the right found Tony Reid inside the penalty area.  Carshalton goalkeeper, Paul Borg, making his first start to the season as regular number one Stuart Searle had a back injury, dived only to see Reid’s downward header go narrowly wide of the right upright.

After a shaky start by Bromley, the Ravens went close after 17 minutes when Luckett’s corner flashed across the face of goal before being hacked clear at the foot of the right post.  Reid had another chance moments later, heading over Borg’s crossbar.

It was Borg who was the busiest of the two goalkeepers throughout the game and Carshalton’s Boateng should have done better with a far post header from Neil Lebihan’s left wing cross, that flew high over Harwood’s crossbar.

Boateng made no mistake, however, with Carshalton’s second goal after 34 minutes.  Former Bromley and Dulwich Hamlet striker Dave Stevens, slid the ball into Boateng’s path and Harwood came to meet him.  The Bromley shot-stopper got a slight touch to the ball, but Boateng steadied himself on the edge of the six yard box, cut inside, before picking his spot, drilling a low shot into the Bromley net.

Bromley pulled a well-deserved goal back ten minutes later.  Mark Hammond in midfield played a long low ball for Reid to chase.  The former Lewes striker left Bowen behind before sending a cross into the middle and Adolph Amoako fired past the diving Borg and into the right hand corner of the net.

Five minutes into the second half, Stevens cheated his way to a Carshalton free kick on the edge of the penalty area down the right, diving over Joe Vines challenge.  From the resulting free kick, justice was done as Lebihan flashed the kick high across goal and well off target.

Leroy Huggins, with seven goals this season for Bromley, replaced Reid and with his first touch of the game, sent in a cross to Amoako at the far post, but his flicked header was agonisingly off target when well placed.

Amoako’s tired shot was saved comfortably by Borg before Bromley’s skipper Dean Forbes headed wide of the left post before the Luckett incident which held the game up for several minutes.

After Wilfort was harshly sent off, Conrad Kane, who had replaced Stevens after 86 minutes sent Carshalton into the next round, as Bromley now look to get their Ryman League Division One South promotion campaign back on track with a home game against third placed Staines Town at home on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Bromley caretaker manager, Eddie Saunders said: “Obviously very disappointed that we lost, but there are a lot of positives to take out of the game, and I am looking forward to Tuesday’s home Ryman League game against Staines Town.  If we put in the same performance, we should have no worries!”

Carshalton Athletic:  Paul Borg, Colin Hartburn (John Hampsher 56), Peter Wood, Romauld Bouadji, Justin Bowen (Capt), Gary Elliott, Des Boateng, Matt York, Ali Russell (Kunle Olusesi 63), Dave Stevens (Conrad Kane 86), Neil Lebihan.  Subs: Dale Markell, Matt Bradford.

Bromley:  Danny Harwood, Danny Smith, Mark Willy, Joe Vines, Colin Luckett (Michael Harney 80), Dean Forbes, Jason McKoy, Mark Hammond (Bobby George 89), Tony Reid (Leroy Huggins 59), Adolph Amoako, John Wilfort (sent off 90).  Subs: Andy Hunt, John Butler

Attendance:  495

Referee: Mr G Evetts
Assistants: Mr M Ford and Mr G Goold