Thursday 01st September 2005
Bromley lack killer touch in stalemate
Super Harwood save denies Worthing victory
Bromley 0-0 Worthing
Saturday 14 February 2004
Ryman League Division One South
By Stephen McCartney
With Bromley manager Stuart McIntyre in Scotland with family commitments for the next seven days, Mark Harris, his former assistant, took over the reigns for the vital clash against Worthing at Hayes Lane.
Harris will also take charge of Tuesday's home clash against Croydon Athletic and next Saturday’s trip to Hampton & Richmond Borough as Bromley try to improve on their ninth place.
Worthing goalkeeper Will Packham was the busier of the two goalkeepers, but Bromley lacked the killer touch in front of goal that would have earned them those three vital points.
After getting the better of defender Andy Lutwyche down the right, Adolph Amoako was denied by Packham who smothered the ball twelve yards from goal after four minutes.

Daryl Plummer twice went close for Worthing in the space of a minute.  His first chance came when central defender John Wilfort, who admitted he is enjoying his time as a central defender, hooked the ball back to goalkeeper Danny Harwood who was forced to head the ball out allowing Plummer to shoot over the bar.

Amoako then rolled a shot wide of the right post after ten minutes as Packham came to the edge of the penalty area to put off the prolific Bromley hit-man.

Worthing’s Shaun Orice then tried a shot on goal from 22 yards after 17 minutes but his volley bounced once inside the six-yard box before going wide of the right upright.

Bromley midfielder, Gary Drewett, with a century of appearances to his name, played the ball low to Jason McKoy to his left.  McKoy took the ball on from midfield to the edge of the penalty area but his right-footed shot flew over the crossbar.            

Worthing should have taken the lead after 23 minutes when Sam Francis had only Wilfort to beat on the goal-line after taking the ball past Harwood, but the Sussex hit-man drilled a shot wide of the right post. 

With a three-man wall in front of him, Bromley goalkeeper Harwood was happy to see Chris Dicker’s 23 yard free kick sail over his crossbar four minutes later.

Good passing from the home side allowed Bobby George to shoot at goal but his drilled effort from fifteen yards went wide of the right post.

A short Worthing free kick from skipper Paul Rogers to Darren Freeman allowed the latter to shoot over the crossbar from 28 yards before Worthing almost broke the stalemate in controversy.

Francis required lengthy treatment inside the Bromley penalty area and once play was allowed to carry on, Harwood was standing way off his line to receive the ball from Freeman close to the right touchline 35 yards from goal.

Instead of playing the ball back to the Bromley goalkeeper in a sporting manner, Freeman went for goal him self.  Shooting towards goal, the ball bounced once inside the six-yard box before spinning wide of the left post.

Freeman wasn’t booked by rookie referee Mr Jackson for that unsavory incident but was booked on the stroke of half time for scrapping with Drewett and grabbing his groin.  Both tussled for the ball and both players entered the referee’s notebook.

Colin Luckett, however, got his own back moments later, striking a fierce free kick in Freeman’s face as he lined up in a four-man wall on the edge of the penalty area on the stroke of half time.

Four minutes into the second half, Drewett down the left went close for Bromley but his effort which he tried to curl into the top far corner of the net, drifted wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area.

A minute later, George’s right footed shot was hit straight at Packham who made a comfortable save before Freeman got to the ball before Harwood from Rogers’ free kick from the left, heading wide of the left post.

Another opening fell to George on the hour but his header was wayward from Hammond’s free kick.

Another free kick from Rogers on the left was touched wide of the left post by Andy Ducille before Bromley midfielder Jason McKoy surged towards goal down the left but his shot from 25 yards was too close to Packham at the near post.

After being severely criticised for conceding three goals in their 4-0 loss to Slough Town, before being sent off late in the game for a professional foul, the fans saw the true side of Harwood with thirteen minutes remaining.

Worthing substitute Damien Dobbyn unleashed a right-footed goalbound shot, which was flying towards the top right hand corner, but Harwood dived high to his left to claw the shot around the right post.

Bromley had plenty of possession in the latter stages of the game but couldn’t find the killer touch in front of goal.  The closest they came was from Luckett’s corner from the right, which struck the side netting.

Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Gary Drewett (Paul Kember 66), John Wilfort, Colin Luckett, Mark Willy, Mark Hammond (David Smith 82), John Myatt (Capt), Adolph Amoako, Bobby George, Jason McKoy.  Subs: Michael Harney, Paul Vines, Edwin Mante
Worthing: Will Packham, Owen Hill, Chris Dicker, Andy Lutwyche, Clay Lamont, Shaun Orice, Andy Ducille (Sean Edwards 90), Paul Rogers (Capt), Sam Francis, Darren Freeman (Gavin Geddes 80), Daryl Plummer (Damion Dobbyn 73).  Subs: Andrew Beech, Ross Johnson
Referee: Mr A Jackson
Assistants: Mr I Regan and Mr J Vallance
Attendance: 217

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360