Thursday 01st September 2005
Bromley suffer following winger Watts departure
Bromley  0-3  Walton & Hersham
Saturday 6 September 2003
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney
Bromley manager Stuart McIntyre will be asking for much more commitment from his players for Tuesday's trip to Windsor & Eton following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at home to Walton & Hersham.
Walton & Hersham manager Laurence Batty asked his clubs supporters to be patient before the game after a win-less start to the season and it was rewarded with their first win of the campaign.
Bromley debutant, Leroy Huggins, signed from Gravesend & Northfleet, was scythed down from behind by Jermaine Hunter inside seventeen seconds but referee Mr Overall only flashed a yellow card for a crude challenge that deserved severe punishment.
A fine through ball from Jason McKoy set up Huggins after seven minutes but from twenty-two yards he dragged his shot wide of the right upright.
On form Bromley shot-stopper Danny Harwood, assessed by goalkeeping coach Derek Parnham in the stand, produced a flying save to his right from Hunter's header following Coggin's cross.
Harwood's opposite number, Tony Tucker was tested after 31 minutes saving Dean Forbes' header from Bobby Nolan's flag kick.
The Swans scored a magnificent goal on the stroke of half time.  Lee O'Donnell's corner kick was headed out by Forbes and Wes Coggin struck a 35 yard shot, rocketing into the top right corner of the Bromley net.
Chris Nunn, a youngster recently released by Charlton Athletic, replaced Mark Willy in the closing stages of the half.  Nunn's enthusiasm down the left saw the blonde haired left back reach the by-line before delivering a testing low cross and Tucker reacted well to block Adolph Amoako's shot.
Walton almost added a second goal after 49 minutes but Tommy Moorhouse's headed over from close range after Francis Dolan headed O'Donnell's free kick across the face of goal.
Ten minutes into the second half, Walton livewire, substitute Carl Gibbs tested Harwood with a low shot from sixteen yards.
Bromley's South African defender, Steve Potterill tested Tucker after 67 minutes.  He surged into the Walton half, cut inside onto his cultured left foot and fired a bullet shot from outside the penalty area.  Tucker dived to his right to palm the shot over the crossbar.
Harwood saved Hunter's shot at the second attempt in the air on the goalline before Walton & Hersham doubled their lead after 76 minutes.
Forbes was turned on the edge of the Bromley penalty area and Gibbs fired a shot past Harwood's left and into the back of the net.
This goal brought unnecessary cries of "Kirk Watts" from a section of Bromley's faithful following McIntyre's decision to release the talented winger two days before the game.
Watts, originally joined Bromley in 1999 from Egham Town before leaving Hayes Lane in November 2000 for a spell at Ashford Town.  He returned at the start of the following season, and went on to make 164 appearances for Bromley in two spells, scoring 26 goals, including the club's winning goal in April's London Senior Cup Final 1-0 win over Ford United.
These cries were heard again after Walton scored the third goal with nine minutes left on the clock.
Gibbs set up Hunter inside the Bromley penalty area.  Facing a one-on-one with Harwood, the striker saw Harwood go to ground early, and coolly slotted the ball into an empty net from close range.
Amaoko shot wide for Bromley from 25 yards before Gibbs struck a left footed shot towards the top left of Harwood's goal but man-of-the-match Harwood denied the Swans a fourth goal.
Now it's time for Bromley's fans to be patient and get behind their manager Stuart McIntye and team.
Bromley: Danny Harwood (STAR MAN), Steve Potterill, Colin Luckett, Danny Smith, Mark Willy (Chris Nunn 45), Dean Forbes (Capt), David Smith, Jason McKoy, Adolph Amoako, Leroy Huggins (Tony Reid 60), Bobby Nolan (Gary Drewett 54).  Subs: John Butler, Joe Wade
Walton & Hersham:  Tony Tucker, Francis Dolan (Capt), Alan Dowson, Adam Thompson, Sean Thurgood, Sam Keevill (Neil Lampton 81) Lee O'Donnell, Tommy Moorhouse, Jermiane Hunter, Mark Nwokeji (Carl Gibbs 45,  STAR MAN), Wes Coggin.  Subs:  David Cory, Laurence Batty, Grant Keywood.
Attendance 241
Referee:  Mr C T Overall Assistants:  Mr S A Scott and Mr C Mallows
Tuesday 9 September    7.45pm   Ryman League   Windsor & Eton   vs   Bromley
Saturday 13 September  3.00pm  FA Cup First Qualifying Round
                                                                                        Ashford Town (Kent)  vs  Bromley
(any replay will be played at Bromley's Hayes Lane ground on Tuesday 16 September, 7.45pm. 
Admission prices: £7 adults, £4 OAP's, Students and Kids Under 16)