Thursday 01st September 2005
Tilbury in the dock as Reid answer's questions
Bromley 3-2 Tilbury
by Stephen McCartney
Bromley’s new faces played a key role in their 3-2 victory over Ryman League Division One North side Tilbury, at Hayes Lane on Tuesday.

Bromley got off to a flying start, taking a first minute lead.  Tony Reid’s pace helped him beat the Tilbury defence and as goalkeeper Marc Baker came rushing to the edge of his penalty area, Reid took the ball past him.  Reid’s floated shot was met by predator James Goodwin, heading home from close range at the far post.

Andy Hunt, Bromley’s goalkeeper, made a comfortable save from John Elme’s free kick just outside the penalty area.

The impressive Reid struck a fierce right-footed shot over the Tilbury crossbar from twenty-five yards but Tilbury scored their equaliser after 13 minutes.  Chris Wolff’s pile-driver from 25 yards out found the bottom left hand corner of Hunt’s net despite the goalkeeper’s efforts

Danny Nicholls tried another low shot, a minute later, but Hunt made a comfortable save before shots reigned in from Ricky Downs, narrowly missing the far post, and Chris Stevens.

Then it was time for Tony Reid to grab the headlines with two perfectly taken goals in the space of two minutes to give Bromley a 3-1 lead.

His first goal, after 29 minutes, started in midfield when Colin Luckett played a short pass to Kirk Watts.  The talented winger was given license to go on one of his trademark runs at pace with the ball.  A delightful pass to Reid, who beat the offside trap, and the former Lewes striker unleashed an unstoppable, powerful left footed shot inside the near post.  

Joe Wade, a midfielder with bite, played a cutting pass for Reid, and as Baker came rushing out of his penalty area, Reid’s delightful lob from 25 yards went over the goalkeeper.  As the ball was in the air you could feel the anticipation from the Bromley supporters, and then the delight once the ball dropped into the back of the net.

Baker made an athletic save just before the break, scooping the ball off the goal-line following a deflection of his own player.

There were heated exchanges just before the interval after Kirk Watts pass to Forbes didn’t find its target and Stevens clipped Forbes.  This sparked off with some push and shove on the touch-line.  Once it calmed down the Referee spoke to Stevens and Bromley’s Luckett.

Bobby Nolan replaced Michael Azzopardi after 51 minutes and his runs down the flank brought excitement and pace to the match. 

Luckett’s fierce shot after 56 minutes brought a fine save from Baker, and at the other end, Bromley substitute goalkeeper, Danny Harwood produced a save of the highest quality.  Harwood was sorting out his defensive wall and had to squirm across the goal-line to parry a quickly taken free kick.

Both sides made changes and shots were at a premium.  Tilbury scored their second after 77 minutes when Dean Frost, his first action following a year out of the game with a knee injury, was beaten to the ball, but followed the Tilbury man to the by-line.  The whipped in low cross found Chris Stevens who scored from close range at the far post.

Bromley’s Grant Watts curled a shot over the crossbar after 79 minutes and every Bromley player  was urged on by their captain Dean Forbes, shouting “don’t settle for it”.

Bromley will want to settle for a successful campaign, once it gets under-way at Croydon on Saturday 16 August.

Bromley:  Andy Hunt (Danny Harwood 60), Steve Potterill, Colin Luckett, John Butler (Dean Frost 60), Joe Wade (Tommy Ellis 72), Dean Forbes, Michael Azzopardi (Bobby Nolan 51), Paul Kember (Grant Watts 68), Tony Reid (Adolph Amoako 74), James Goodwin (Tom Beech 58), Kirk Watts

Tilbury (squad); Marc Baker, Robert Bird, Jordan Tolan, John Elmes, Danny Wolf, Ricky Downs, Danny Nichols, Mark Brennan, Chris Stevens, Greg Cohen, Chris Wolff.  Subs: Lee Double, Richard Hayward, Jamie Saunders, James Asser, Andy Aransibia