Thursday 01st September 2005
www.yourcounty.co.uk - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football

Saturday 21 August 2004 Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Robert Smith reports from the Belmont
Whitstable Town 3 Perona 3, Prett 15, Jones 61
Slade Green 0  

Former Slade Green duo inflict the damage

Former Slade Green duo Sam Prett and Marcos Perona combined to devastating effect, both finding the net to send Slade Green spinning to their first defeat of the season. 

Despite the 3-0 scoreline by no means was this a one sided contest. 

Both sides enjoyed long periods of possession and created a similar amount of goalscoring opportunities the defining factor being Whitstable's clinical finishing in front of goal along with a defence that stood firm.

Perona pounced within 90 seconds of the start when having been left with time and space his hard hitting snap shot from the edge the of the area nestled in the bottom left corner of the net. 

But just five minutes later this goal was almost cancelled out when Ryan Hayes cross cum shot was tipped over the bar by the keeper. 

Wayne Barrett then provided an opportunity for Dean Bowey to level the scores but the Green striker's shot lacked the power needed and was easily gathered by Gary Atherton.

In the 14th minute The Oysterman doubled their lead as Prett completed a slick three man move involving himself, Perona and Lee Jones.

With keeper Paul Vines unavailable, Sam Mills was draughted into the squad and he was called into action to bravely save at the feet of Lee Jones.

Tony Gallagher will feel that he should have reduced the deficit 10 minutes before the interval when he headed over from Barrett's pin point free kick, but it was the home side who ended the first half in the ascendancy as Jones effort hit the post.

Green began the second half in rampant fashion bombarding the home side's rearguard. 

Shaun Malyon was unable to keep his shot on target when set up by a Barrett free kick, Malyon then turned provider with a low cross that saw Chris Arnold narrowly miss with an attempted header. 

Green came closest to scoring though when Dean Bowey produced some fine play before picking out Ryan Hayes who strike rattled back off the cross-bar, moments later a last ditch tackle from Mark Warne denied Chris Arnold a certain goal. 

As is so often the case with Green pushing for a goal they left gaps at the back which the Oysterman duly capitalised on through Lee Jones after his initial shot had rebounded back off a defender. 

Whitstable may have added to their tally late on with Ryan Robinson heading just over following neat approach play by Ryan Davis.