Thursday 01st September 2005

07979 418 360

Saturday 19th 
February 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Julian Leigh reports from Greatness Park
Sevenoaks Town 0  
Whitstable Town 3 Marshall 55
Seager 80 (pen)
Harrison 85


Sloppy defending costs Sevenoaks

TWO goals in the last ten minutes killed off any hopes of Sevenoaks Town picking up any points from a game that they probably did not deserve to lose.

However, the home team were made to pay for three defensive errors that Whitstable - who still have a mathematical chance of stealing the Kent League championship from Herne Bay or Ramsgate - gratefully accepted.

Sevenoaks started brightly and it was veteran Whitstable goalkeeper Mark Lane who was the busier of the two custodians, blocking a shot from Gary Wood then seeing an effort from prolific striker Julian Smith flash just past the far post.

The closest the home side got to breaking the deadlock was on the half-hour mark.  A corner kick from Phil Cramp eluded Lane and struck the crossbar and was scrambled clear.

Another goal mouth melee ended when Whitstable's Thomas cleared the ball off his own goal line.

Whitstable's best opening came when Steve Marshall rounded Sevenoaks goalkeeper Darren Smart but in doing so took the ball wide and the goalkeeper was able to recover and make the save as Marshall tried to square the ball into the six yard box.

The second half started well for the visitors and ten minutes after the interval Marshall lost his marker and powered his header past Smart at his near post.

Sevenoaks, however, were dealt a major blow when they lost Ollie Young, who was suffering from 'flu in the past week.  He was replaced by Simon Christou.

As the game opened up, Lane had to be off his line quickly to thwart Dave Forster and then a thunderous free kick was parried away by the goalkeeper.

Not to be outdone, Smart saved superbly from Marshall's lob.

With ten minutes remaining disaster struck the home side as Christou fouled Marshall inside the penalty area and referee Mr Ions had no option but to award a spot kick, and Marc Seager sent Smart the wrong way.

The third game wrapped the points up for the Oystermen.  Steve Harrison captalised on a defensive error from Sevenoaks' skipper Dave Waters.

Sevenoaks' joint-manager Julian Leigh added: "The first half display was acceptable and we had a couple of half chances that maybe we should have done better with.

"The second half, however, was not so good and we paid the price for making three errors, which at this level you get punished.

"We move onto Deal next week in what you might call a six-pointer, but we go with a positive attitude."

Next Saturday Sevenoaks, third from bottom in the table, travel to Deal Town, who are just one place above them in the table.

There is a coach being laid on by one of the club's sponsors Plan-it-Travel and any supporters wishing to travel - at no cost - are welcome.  The coach leaves Greatness Park, at 12:15pm.

Sevenoaks Town: Smart, Gibson, Young (Christou), Waters, Miles, Balmer (Rose), Aldridge, Forster, Cramp, Smith, Woods (Forlan).  Subs: Devereaux