Thursday 20th October 2005

Farnie appointed new boss at Tunbridge Wells

Kentish Observer League club Tunbridge Wells have appointed Martin Farnie as their new manager, writes Stephen McCartney.

Farnie has had previous spells with the club as both as player and coach and was a member of their Kent League championship winning side back in season 1984-85.

He has previously worked under Tommy Sampson at both Herne Bay and Dartford.

And managerial experience at Kent League club Canterbury City will put him in good stead to improve Wells' fortunes.

Farnie replaces Mike D'Arcy and Alan Burns who were put in charge of first team affairs as caretaker manager for their Kent Senior Trophy tie at Slade Green on 4th October, which was won 4-2 on penalties, after the game finished 1-1 after extra time, following the shock resignations of coaches Martin Telford and Dave Rice the previous Saturday.

And with manager Kevin Metcalf on holiday in Turkey, he too handed in his resignation a day after he returned from his week in the sun.

But the Culverden Stadium outfit went on to lose their next three league games, against Thamesmead Town (2-3), Deal Town (3-4) and at Maidstone United (1-2) last night.

Their poor run of results during this unstable time puts the club fourteen points off top spot in ninth place in the table with ten points from eight league games.

The club have issued the following statement on their website, www.tunbridgewellsfc.co.uk: "The club wishes to thank Mike D'Arcy and Alan Burns for all the work they have put in during the past few difficult weeks.

"Mike has confirmed that he will take the first team on Saturday before returning with Alan (Burns) to manage the reserves.

"We are confident that we have a fully competent and capable management in place for both our teams and that marked improvements in the club's fortunes will follow."

Slade Green v Tunbridge Wells
Kentish Observer League
Saturday 22nd October 2005
at The Small Glen, Moat Lane, Slade Green