Thursday 01st September 2005
The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

Saturday 16
October 2004
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Robert Smith reports from Bayliss Avenue
Thamesmead Town 3 Burns 35, Clews 77
Williams 83
Slade Green 0  

Miles blasts his sides lack of desire

Slade Green manager Phil Mies labelled his side’s performance as lack lustre as three second half goals, two coming in the final seven minutes sent Green reeling to defeat at Bayliss Avenue. 

A spectacular strike from Jason Clews sandwiched in between two set piece goals gave Mead the points. 

Green went into the game without skipper Tony Gallagher (ankle) and Mark Penny (thigh) but Miles refused to use their absence as an excuse.

"‘The bare minimum requirement from a team is heart, spirit and commitment unfortunately with the exception of the back five we showed none of these qualities.  I am very upset with this display, Miles blasted.

It was the home side who asked the early questions and Paul Vines had to be alert to keep out powerful long range efforts from Kieron Collins and Pedro Knight. 

Green’s first threat on the Thamesmead goal came midway through the half but Chris Tuley could only guide his header directly at the keeper from Ryan Hayes cross. 

Hayes then produced a powerful run from midfield before seeing his goalbound shot acrobatically tipped away by the Mead shot stopper, Dave Martin produced a similar burst forward soon after but was unable to keep his effort on target. 

But it was the home who ended the first half in the ascendancy, Vines pulled off a stunning double save to keep out firstly Clews and then Knight following fine play from the impressive Sam Thomas. 

Dean Burns then could so easily have found the net having been set up by Thomas the Mead striker saw his header bounce against the ground before seeing Vines clear the danger and moments later Burns again threatened with his head from Danny Evans centred ball only to see Lee Morgan intercept with a vital headed clearance. 

The home side began the second half in the same vein as they finished the first period as Knight cleverly rode two Green challenges before playing Thomas through on goal only for Vines to bravely save at the feet of the Thamesmead man.

The deadlock was broken nine minutes into the second half as both Lee Morgan and Wayne Barrett challenged Burns leaving the Mead hit man on the floor and from the resulting free kick Meads leading goalscorer stepped up to plant the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

With 70 minutes played Green should have levelled the scores.  Shaun Malyon burst down the right and having held off his marker squared the ball into the heart of the box and following Danny Little’s lay off, Chris Tuley shaped to shoot but he could only look to the heavens in despair as he rifled his shot over the bar.

Five minutes later Dean Bowey was introduced to proceedings and almost immediately he made his mark with an equalising goal when his opportunist strike from 20 yards was turned round the post by the keeper. 

Green’s challenge was effectively killed off with seven minutes remaining as Clews let fly with a stunning long range effort and the victory was completed two minutes from time as Vines was unable to hold onto Burns free kick and sub Curtis Williams was on hand to slot home the loose ball..

Slade Green:  Vines, Lewis, Sabatino, Malyon, Morgan, Barber, Martin (Abbott), Barrett, Little (Bowey), Tuley, Hayes (Bond)