Thursday 01st September 2005

07979 418 360

Saturday 5th
February 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division Cup
Martin Wiseman reports from The Small Glen
Slade Green 0  
Thamesmead Town 3 Dean Burns 7,73
Jason Clews 76

USELESS Ref Carter steals the headlines, again - Sorry Mr Burns!

TWO terrific strikes by Dean Burns, backed up by a third goal from substitute Jason Clews saw Thamesmead Town gain a comfortable entry into the semi finals of the Kent League Cup when they overcame Slade Green 3-0 at The Small Glen on Saturday. 

With Dave Martin (ankle) and Shaun Malyon (broken toe) having picked up injuries over the past week Green’s only threat of snatching a goal on the day seemed to be limited to wide man, Ryan Hayes, who in the 3rd minute of added time, in both the first and second halves, pulled splendid saves out of Danny Kemp – the seventh custodian to have appeared between Mead’s goalposts this season. 

Had the strike on half time gone in, it could have set up a pulsating second period, but the 93rd minute effort, tipped over by Kemp, was of academic relevance, Thamesmead having put the tie beyond all doubt with goals on 73 and 76 minutes. 

The post match chatter should have revolved around the two Dean Burns bombshells, or perhaps those Hayes near misses, but instead, not for the first time this season, most of the talk involved the ‘performance’ of referee, ex military man, Mr Carter. 

Three players had been sent off by Mr Carter (for swearing at themselves, or their colleagues) when Green visited Lordswood earlier in the season, and after taking front stage of The Small Glen’ parade ground, for much of the afternoon, concerning himself with such vital matters as the colour of a Slade Green player’s underpants (black, sadly not Green) he ‘peaked’ on 77 minutes by again objecting to the things that were said which led to the sending off of Green’s Dean Bowey and substitute Chris Tuley.  (the latter had also upset him earlier in the season at Lordswood). 

Thamesmead, then 3-0 up, were magnanimous enough not to rub salt into the wounds of a nine man opposition, and, but for setting up a chance for Danny Evans which he spurned, were content to play possession football for the closing quarter hour of play. 

Earlier tricky Thamesmead winger, Sam Thomas, twice floated clever cross/chips over keeper Paul Vines, one hitting the post, the other drifting just wide. 

Thomas’ good approach work also contrived a 67th minute chance for Curtis Williams, but his cross shot took a deflection for a corner. 

Green’s Ryan Hayes had a purple patch either side of half time when, as well as his stoppage time effort, he again tested Kemp on 52 minutes, and a minute later, set up Billy Bond whose attempt was agilely tipped over the bar by Kemp. 

Mead’s opener came on 7 minutes via a blistering free kick off the post by Dean Burns following a controversial foul award on the edge of the box.  (An almost identical goal to that conceded against Sevenoaks just a week earlier.  The abrasive Burns showed his subtier touch when on 73 minutes he looped an inch perfect shot-on-the-turn chip into the far corner of Green’s goal.

Paul Vines got a hand to Jason Clews 10 yarder, 3 minutes later, but could not prevent it thumping into the roof of the net to make it 3-0. 

After 3 bad Saturday’s against The Mead this season, including an amazing 20 penalty shoot-out in the Kent Senior Trophy of a month ago, Slade Green get an immediate chance to ‘repair the damage’ when the two side’s fourth confrontation of the season – in the league – takes place at The Small Glen this coming Saturday.

 Slade Green:  Vines, Lewis (McQuade), Barber, Gallagher, Kearley, Upson, Bond (Tuley), Barrett, Little (Morris), Bowey, Hayes. Other subs:  Penny, Heywood.


Thamesmead Town:  Kemp, Merridan, Evans, Collins, Mayall, Russell, Potts (Clews), Knight, Williams, Burns, Thomas (Deadman).  Other sibs:  Dudley, McMahon.