Thursday 15th September 2005

Thamesmead put themselves into a good position


Thamesmead Town moved into third place in the Kentish Observer League table following their 7-0 thrashing of Sporting Bengal in East London on Wednesday night, writes Stephen McCartney.

Mead started the game well and took the lead after only four minutes when Lee Loveridge headed home Peter Deadman's corner.

They doubled their lead when skipper Pedro Knight headed past the helpless keeper from six yards after 20 minutes.

Thamesmead continued to press forward and were creating chances at will.   They stretched their lead to 3-0 six minutes later when striker Jason Clews turned in the box and smashed the ball past the keeper from ten yards.

And ten minutes later it was 4-0 when Curtis Williams picked the ball up outside the stunned home side's penalty area and hit a low shot, which found the bottom corner.

Paul Blade's side came out and dominated the second half.  They made the score 5-0 when Marc Merridan got on the end of Sam Thomas' corner and tapped home from close range.

Williams then scored his second of the night in the 74th minute when he coolly slotted home a cross from Merridan after some great football from the visiting side.

And Thamesmead completed the rout with five minutes left when Williams completed his hat-trick with a superb solo effort.

Assistant manager Keith McMahon told www.thamesmeadtownfc.co.uk : "It was another good performance, we seem to be getting stronger with the more games we play.

"I was pleased for Curtis (Williams) tonight and Jason (Clews) as there has been quite a bit of stick going around about the front men at the moment, so it's good that they both scored.

"I was more pleased with a clean sheet.  Bengal didn't create a single chance, so credit must go to the back four and the keeper.

"I was pleased with the overall performance and the way we kept our shape.

"Confidence is starting to build now and we are still unbeaten in the league.

"We have got ourselves into a good position, it's now our job to stay there and keep putting pressure on Maidstone and Beckenham.

"A lot of people are saying that the league title is already over after just five games, well tonight showed that no one at Thamesmead believes it is."

Thamesmead host Herne Bay at Bayliss Avenue on Saturday.  Jason Lillis' side were beating FA Vase holders Deal Town 2-1 in their FA Cup first qualifying round replay on Tuesday night, before the Oxfordshire side romped back to win 6-2.

Thamesmead Town v Herne Bay
Kentish Observer League
Saturday 17th September 2005
Kick Off 3:00pm
at Bayliss Avenue, Thamesmead