Thursday 01st September 2005

The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football


Saturday 16
October 2004

Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division

Julian Leigh reports from Winch's Field

Herne Bay

1 Green 86

Sevenoaks Town

1 Constable 73

Point taken

Sevenoaks Town returned from Herne Bay on Saturday with a well deserved point following an entertaining encounter with the home side.

Kicking up the slope in the first half the visitors had to defend well as the home team attempted to stamp there authority on the game but resolute defending kept the home team out.

As the half wore on Sevenoaks started to get the better of the midfield battle with Forster, Balmer and Spillane playing well.

Sevenoaks had a half chance on twenty minutes but Bryce's shot went just wide with home keeper Jack Delo well beaten.

This scare made the home team raise the tempo of the game with Town keeper Darren Smart making two super saves in close succession from the Bay's top striker Danny Kedwell.

This was to be the start of personnel battle between the two players and a feature of the game.

As half time approached Sevenoaks had a couple of corner kicks in succession and from the second kick which was cleverly worked by Constable to Spillane, whose left footed thunderbolt thumped against the far post with Delo well beaten.

The first period of the second half went well for the visitors with good solid possession and defensively Ricky Underdown and Sim Johnson shackled the threat of Kedwell and Harvey.

Spurred on by their captain Rohan O'Connor The Bay again lifted their game with Kedwell and Englefield going close before Simon Brown headed over when well placed.

As the half went on Kedwell on two occasions bought out the best from Smart, the second effort leaving the striker shaking his head in disbelieve at the keepers save.

As sometimes happens the team under the cosh takes the lead, and this was case as a delightful ball from the evergreen Forster found Andy Constable who slotted it past the advancing Delo to put the visitors one goal up on 73 mins.

Ten minutes later the visitors Bryce should have wrapped the game up when through one on one with Delo but shot wide of the target, then the same forward who had again made a superb run failed to spot an unmarked Constable who had an open goal at his mercy.

Herne Bay manager Jason Lillis threw caution to the wind which paid off with the equaliser coming four minutes from time from one of the three substitutes Lillis had used, Harvey's scuffed cross went into the area at pace and Green managed to get enough on it to divert the ball into the net past Smart.

Sevenoaks had one last effort to gain the the three points, Lee Aldridge's 30 yard effort flying just over the cross bar after being well set up by Forster.

Sevenoaks Town: Smart, Clarke, Johnson, Underdown, Cramp (Aldridge) ,Balmer, Forster, Spillane, Miles, Constable, Bryce (Hart).  Subs: Blake, Ralph