Thursday 01st September 2005

Denly marks debut with goal

Tuesday 22nd
November 2005
Ryman League
Division One
Arran Ayres reports from
Southwood Stadium
Ramsgate 3 Ball 33
Denly 64
Morris 90
Kingstonian 3 Reid 24
Rose 46, 65

Steffan Ball scored a 30-yard wonder goal, ran over to cuddle Jim and Danny Ward on the Ramsgate bench, and ten told them: "I never miss from there!"

A cracking free-kick marked a return to form for the forward, who is already into double figures for the season.

But poor defending cost Ramsgate as they trailed three times at Southwood, but a debut goal for Sam Denly and Liam Morris' last minute equaliser salvaged a point.

The sea air must have suited the visitors who opened with some useful pressure. A very long throw from Richard Taylor on just two minutes was caught comfortably by the Rams keeper Danny Twyman.

Then a good run from K's former Bromley striker Tony Reid saw him send in a dangerous low cross for James Rose that was hacked away. Then Wayne Noad launched a sky high free-kick that Twyman caught well to deny Reid's aerial threat.

On 12 minutes Rams winger Shane Suter sent in a threatening low cross into the Ks goalmouth that Noad saw out. Back came the Ks with a Martyn Lee free-kick on 18 minutes that was punched away by Twyman.

Six minutes later the Ks took the lead. A fine Reid header gave Kingstonian the lead from  Lee's 24th minute cross and  Rose missed a chance to double the lead from the restart. 

Ball recaptured his early season form and equalised nine minutes later with a stunning 30-yard free-kick after Suter was brought down by Julian Sills.

Then the home side threatened until the break. Edd Vahid set Suter free down the left and although his far post cross hung in the air it was eventually scrambled away and Ben Laslett saw his effort deflected behind for a corner before the break.

Ks made the best possible start to an exciting second half, scoring inside the first minute. A dangerous, curling free-kick from Lee way out on the right was met with hesitation in the Rams goalmouth  Rose reacted quickly and slotted the ball home past Twyman.

Lee then had another free-kick from about the same spot but this time a diving header from sub Denly ended the threat. 

The Rams patiently built up some threatening approach and on 64 minutes it paid off with an equaliser.  Ed Vahid and Ball combined down the right and Edd Vahid cross was headed home by Denly on the far post, crowning his Rams debut.

Kingstonian went up the other end  scored a scrappy third which again should have been cleared. A determined Jon Coke way out on the left shook off a couple of home defenders and sent in a low cross that evaded James Gregory allowing a delighted Rose to fire home his second of the night.

Back came the home side, a Stuart Vahid powerful strike from close quarters laid out Rose on defensive duties although not for long.

Jim Ward's side went for broke in the closing stages, sending all the big men forward in search of an equaliser. A header from centre-back Ollie Schultz beat K's 'keeper Mark Torcaso but it was headed off the line by Symes.

On 76 minutes a Ball free-kick from 25 yards grazed the crossbar, a goal-kick given even though it appeared Torcaso had made an excellent save. Then the busy Ball tried to find a lurking Stuart Vahid on the Ks penalty spot but an alert Torcaso intervened.

Five minutes later a superb volley from Stuart Vahid struck the Ks bar, falling for Ball but Torcaso held on to his shot on the near post.

Ks kept their heads and it looked like three points were Surrey-bound. However Liam Morris had other ideas, when two minutes into additional time a long free-kick from Twyman near the halfway line fell invitingly into the Ks goalmouth and Morris scrambled home the equaliser.


Ramsgate: Twyman, E Vahid, Gregory (Yianni 71), Morris, O Schulz, Laslett, Munday, Pettit (Minshull 86), S Vahid , Ball, Suter (Denly 45). Not used: K Morris, Wild.   Booked: E Vahid , Gregory.

Man-of-the-Match: Steffan Ball.