Thursday 01st September 2005
The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football


Saturday 30th
October 2004
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Julian Leigh reports from Bourne Park
Maidstone United 3 Sinden 39 (Pen), 44
Underdown (og) 41
Sevenoaks Town 4 Forster 32,80
Bryce  62
Aldridge 67

Sevenoaks bounce back to beat the Stones

Sevenoaks Town showed remarkable bouncebackability on Saturday after a week of mixed performances. 

Following last Saturday's poor second half showing against Hythe Town then Tuesday's dismal performance against Erith Town the visitors new only a good performance would be satisfactory.

Maidstone signalled their early intentions from the kick off, Richard Sinden, who was one of Brian Clough's last schoolboy signings at Nottingham Forest tested Darren Smart from twenty yards, the keeper saving at full stretch.

As the visitors settled it became more apparent that the game was there to be won, a couple of half chances from Richard Bryce going just wide and the Sevenoaks defence with new signing from Egham Town Jamie Muldowney and captain for the day Ricky Underdown dealing with the threat of Sinden and Lyndon Rowland.

Sevenoaks Town broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute, Dave Forster's run along the bye line saw the midfielder cut back into the penalty area before firing the ball in at the near post past Steve Williams in the home goal.

Sevenoaks then had the opportunity to score a second when Gary Wood, who was to leave the pitch soon after, broke clear of a static defence but his effort was saved by the outstretched leg of Williams.

Maidstone pulled the goal deficit back in the 39th minute following a dubious penalty awarded against Underdown after Rowland went down in the box somewhat easily.

Sinden fired the penalty low and hard past Smart.

Things then went from bad to worse for the visitors a long throw from Lacy was headed past his own keeper by the luckless Underdown.

With the game in first half stoppage time Sinden grabbed his second eluding Sim Johnson's challenge and shooting past Smart.

After a few harsh half time words Sevenoaks started the half with the believe that they would get something out of the game, and in the 62nd minute Sevenoaks pulled a goal back.

A mix up between Williams and Gary Hemens allowed Bryce a free run on goal which the striker duly accepted and scored with ease.

Five minutes later Lee Aldridge on for the tiring Brad Draper scored the equaliser, his first ever goal at Kent League Level, firing in at the far post with Williams well beaten.

With the home team now in disarray there was only going to be one winner as the visitors threatened to run riot.

Andy Constable being unlucky on two occasions and with ten minutes remaining Sevenoaks grabbed a well deserved winner.

A free kick from Wayne Balmer was headed home by Forster past the despairing dive of  Williams.

Maidstone made a double substitution bringing off former Gillingham favourite Mark Patterson for forward Lloyd Miller and Lacy coming off for Hogg but the visitors defence stood firm and took the well deserved three points.

After the ups and downs of the last week as far as the results and performances go this was a massive boost for the players and the club.

On a another day Sevenoaks could have had six goals Constable being unlucky not to have been on the scoresheet

It was good to see Bryce  get a goal and Aldridge getting his first Kent League goal.

Chris Ralph's performance against the vastly experienced Jimmy Strouts and Patterson was superb.

Sevenoaks must not let this one result go to their heads, but learn from it and build on it as we have a very important month of fixtures coming up.

Sevenoaks Town: Smart, Johnson (Aldridge 66), Miles, Muldowney, Underdown (Capt), Ralph, Draper (Balmer 74), Forster, Constable, Bryce, Wood (Hart 39)