Thursday 01st September 2005

Stones win at a canter


Saturday 20th
August 2005
Kentish Observer League Barry Feist reports from Bourne Park
Maidstone United 2 Celaire 24
Strouts 69
Slade Green 0  

Pat Mullin in the Stones goal barely had to make a save all game as Green had little to offer against a talented Maidstone side who had won both of their opening matches, writes Barry Feist. 

Former Beckenham Town pair Mario Celaire and Nathan Paul were outstanding for The Stones and it was Celaire that created the first opportunity on 9 minutes when he made a superb run down the right wing. His cross into the box found Lyndon Rowland unmarked and he duly fired home past Green keeper Paul Vines but the goal was ruled out.

Within minutes Green had a chance at the other end. Stones' player-manager Lloyd Hume fouled Lee Morgan out on the left and Danny Little’s free-kick into the box was headed into the side-netting by Morgan.

Rowland then fired over from just 6 yards on 16 minutes and moments later hit the ball against the bar.

Maidstone gained a corner on 24 minutes which saw Gary Kimble send the ball into the box, Paul Vines palmed it clear, and  Celaire was on hand to head home the first goal.

Shortly before half-time Tony Weir shot wide of the goal from 18 yards after an excellent ball forward from the impressive Lee Morgan.

Morgan was again in thick of things in the second half. On 65 minutes he headed clear a Nathan Paul cross after Gallagher had been left flat footed.

However, shortly before this Gallagher himself had to make a last ditch tackle on Mo Takaloo as he sprinted clear of Slade Green’s defence.

Stones scored their second goal on 69 minutes. Morgan’s clearance fell at the feet of Jimmy Strouts and the midfielder under pressure from the Green defence turned on the ball to fire into the back of the net.

Vines prevented Slade Green falling further behind with two good saves inside a minute. Nathan Paul set up Nick Hegley but the Slade Green keeper did very well to just tip his shot round the post and then Hegley got on the end of Kimble’s corner but Vines saved his effort again. 

Green made substitutions on 78 minutes. Browning replaced Heyrettin and Mark Penny came on for Scott Lewis but neither could add anything extra to a poor Slade Green performance.

With time running out, Gallagher crossed Robert Browning’s short free-kick into the Maidstone box but Danny Little headed just wide of Mullin’s far post.

Stones' boss Lloyd Hume told the club's website : "I don’t think it was the best of performances but they didn’t offer much up against us and it’s hard to get yourselves more motivated as the game goes on when it looked as if it was an end of season game where they had nothing for it.

"Once we knew we were in front we went at it at a canter but I’m just pleased with the result."

Having won all their opening three league games, Maidstone United now lead the Kentish Observer League.


Maidstone United:  Pat Mullin, Nathan Paul, Garry Kimble, Lloyd Hume, Mario Celaire, Ryan Royston, Jimmy Strouts, Sam Tydeman, Lyndon Rowland (Lee Sperring 77), Mo Takaloo (Simon Austin 77), Nick Hegley. Subs: Matt Nicholl, Adam Hewitson, Richard Mannerings

Slade Green: Paul Vines, Scott Lewis (Mark Penny 77), Lee Barber, Tony Gallagher, Lee Morgan, Alan Hanlon, Aran Hayrettin (Robert Browning 77), Danny Little, Glen McTaggart (Paul Gross 90), Anthony Weir, Shaun Malyon