Thursday 01st September 2005

07979 418 360

Saturday 19th
February 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Ian Muir reports from Bourne Park
Maidstone United 3 Hemens 44
Austin 73
Rowland 80
Beckenham Town 1 Wood 6

Stones end Beckenham's five-game unbeaten run

BECKENHAM Town's five match unbeaten run came to an end at Bourne Park on Saturday.

With the very strong wind behind them Beckenham Town took the lead after only 6 minutes. Lewis Wood after receiving an inch perfect pass outpaced a Stones defender before lifting the ball over the advancing keepers head.

It should have been two when Paul Vines ghosted through but blasted wide from six yards.

Nathan Paul and Matthew Belton then combined for a one-two down the right wing. Paul was
half-tackled but still managed to squeeze the ball through and sent over a perfect cross for Adam Heaselwood who's goal-bound header was brilliantly tipped round the post.

Beckenham Town poured forward hungry for more goals and it was Heaselwood again who
had the next chance and his dipping half-volley skimmed the bar. 

The hosts playing into the wind hardly got out of their half for the first 20 minutes.

To their credit both sides attempted to play attractive football with Beckenham constantly trying to feed the ball to their wing-backs and a stream of over-hit passes added to their frustration.

Just before the break Maidstone started to find their shape and began to get forward while down the other end despite having plenty of chances Beckenham Town could not increase their lead. 

With one minute remaining before half-time Maidstone forced a corner and from the following set-piece Gary Hemens rose unchallenged to head into an empty net. 

Beckenham's chance had gone and with the advantage of the wind it was Maidstone who were now looking forward to the second half.

The next period started in a cagey a way with both sides knowing full well that the next goal could be the winner. 

Beckenham Town pushed up in an to attempt to contain the home-side and themselves had more than one chance to take the lead.

The turning point in the second half when it looked a certainty that  Beckenham would score but managed to shoot over the bar from a few feet. This lifted Maidstone who stepped up a gear and in the 73rd minute caught their visitors in  possession on the halfway line and got behind the visitors defence to tap in for a simple goal.

 In a last gasp attempt to salvage something from  the match Beckenham Town made three substitutions and played four up front. 

The home-side took full advantage of the extra space and it was no surprise when they extended
their lead on 80 minutes.

There was no coming back for Beckenham Town who most certainly had the lions share of chances throughout the game.

Beckenham Town's assistant manager Jason Taylor said after the game "The conditions were the same for both sides, it is how you adapt to them that counts.

"We had the chances but we did not capitalise on them Maidstone did. It is as simple as that.

"We knew we needed at least a two goal advantage at half-time. However conditions do not affect how many times you give the ball away and we did on far too many occasions, the lads know better and I am certain we will bounce back with a better performance".

Beckenham's next game is against Thamesmead Town at Eden Park Avenue next Saturday (3pm)