Thursday 01st September 2005

Rowland's dramatic late brace seals Stones' victory

Saturday 3rd
December 2005
Kentish Observer League Ian Muir reports from Eden Park Avenue
Beckenham Town 2 Martin 38,83
Maidstone United 3 Tydeman 78,
Rowland 90,90

A crowd of nearly 500 watched Saturday’s Kentish Observer League top-of-the-table clash between two teams with contrasting styles, Beckenham with their neat passing game and Maidstone with the more direct route one style, writes Ian Muir.

It was a game of agony and ecstasy as Maidstone snatched the victory with two goals deep into injury time.
From the onset the visitors closed Beckenham down and prevented them finding their rhythm pegging them back into their own half for long periods.

The Stones long ball out of defence constantly testing the aerial prowess of Sinclair and Ahwan.

Beckenham’s midfield had to work hard in a crowded midfield and were often hustled off the ball by the more physical Maidstone side who were creating more of the chances but poor finishing and home keeper Tolfrey prevented them from taking the lead.
Beckenham were content to soak up the pressure and wait for the opportunity to capitalise from the break.

Paul Vines battled well and was up against former Beckenham player  Mario Celaire and it was in fact Vines who provided the telling through ball in the 39th minute to Ryan Martin who was to fast for Celaire as he slotted home.

Up to this point Maidstone had the territorial advantage and continued to have the upper hand as far as chances go, but few of them threatened and Ahwan was now getting the better of the Stones star striker Mo Takaloo.
The re-start saw no changes to personnel and the visitors carried on where they left off thumping the ball forward at every opportunity and squandering any chance that came their way.

During a frustrating period for Maidstone their manager was ordered from the dug-out and later their assistant manager was booked.

Beckenham continued to sit back and defended well. On 78 minutes a free kick was awarded to Maidstone inside their area and the long free kick was intercepted but the pass out of defence fell into the path of Tydeman who smashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net from 30 yards to send the travelling army of fans wild.

Two minutes later Martin was again to fast for the Stones defence and fired home from 30 yards.

This looked like being enough for Beckenham and as the game went into added time it looked like the visitors unbeaten run was nearing its end but a final twist of fate saw the visitors score two goals in the 93rd and 95th minute.
In football there is no such thing as a fair result the only thing that counts is the result itself. Chances and possession count for nothing it is the final tally of goals that count.

On the day neat football gave way to the long ball, however, next week it could be different-that is football. Both managers will reflect on what could have been. With today’s evidence Beckenham can and will play better.
The match started with a minutes silence in respect the passing of former Town player Derek Holyoake and 13 year old Tyrell Edaferhoro.
It has been a hard week for Beckenham Town who have been fined £500 by the Kent League and three points have been awarded to Erith Town plus £600 expenses. This follows Beckenham Town arriving at the match at Erith with a kit that, in the referee's opinion would clash with their opponents. Despite great efforts to get another kit to the ground the ref called the game of after half an hour. The kit arrived three minutes later.

The club are very disappointed in the in the outcome of the disciplinary hearing and will be making an appeal to the Football Association.
Beckenham visit Thamesmead Town on Tuesday night in the Kent League Divisional Cup.

Beckenham Town:  Rob Tolfrey, Ali Kyezu, Jake Daniels, Peter Adeniyi, Errison Ahwan, Tony Sinclair, Joshua Smith, Gavin Rose, Paul Vines, Junior Kadi, Ryan Martin.  Subs: Daniel Morris, Carlton Price, Asher Hudson, Dhran Stewart, Jamie Cheesman

Maidstone United: Pat Mullin, Aaron Lacy, Craig Roser, Nathan Paul, Mario Celaire, Ryan Royston, Jimmy Strouts, Sam Tydeman, Mo Takaloo, Lyndon Rowland, Nick Hegley.  Subs: Jason Barton, Nick Blade, Simon Austin, Lee Sperring, Richard Mannering

Referee: Graham Ions