Thursday 01st September 2005

Lordswood's reign at top comes to an end
Saturday 16 August 2003
(attendance 80)
by Darrell Harman

Lordswood's reign at the top of the Go Travel Kent League Premier Division ended on this sunny August afternoon against their Tenants. 

VCD Athletic came out of the blocks quickly as in the 4th minute they had taken the lead when Paul Bates in the area saw his shot parried away by Herbert but it fell at Chris Arnold’s feet and from 5 yards he drilled the ball home. 

Lordswood nearly equalised in the 9th minute when Paul Bates head met a Dan Hudd corner but it hit the crossbar.

Disaster struck  for Lordswood in the 16th minute when John Maine on the run was pushed out wide by Paul Bates and everyone thought the danger was over but he turned back towards the penalty area and Paul Bates caught him in he area and a penalty was given and controversially Bates was booked.

Up stepped Clayton Proberts and he slotted the ball into the bottom left hand corner. 

Lordswood again came back and in the 18th minute Mike Cunningham just on the edge of the box saw his shot pushed around the post for a corner.  Dan Hudd's corner was met by Dean Woodland whose header was cleared off the line.

In the 22nd minute VCD could have increased their lead when Mark Russell beat the offside flag, ran on into the area and blasted his shot over the bar.

Four minutes later VCD scored their third goal when John Maine on the left beat Dean Woodland and got to the by-line and crossed for Paul Bates to slot home. 

John Maine nearly increased the lead when in the area he turned quickly and shot but it went just past the post but right on half time some neat intricate work on the left saw the ball land at Chris Arnold’s feet and he shot home.

The second half as far as Lordswood was concerned was damage limitation and pride and obviously words were said by manager Barry Zillwood as the start of the half was more positive.

In the 55th minute another Dan Hudd corner found John Gissing whose powerful header was cleared of the line and came out to Mike Cunningham whose shot through a crowded area was pushed around the post by David Pike for a corner.

In the very next minute James Short received the ball in the area,  his turn and shot went just past the post. 

Dan Hudd  raced down the right and his cross was a bit too long but Short retrieved it and crossed back into the area where John Gissing rose and saw his glancing header go just wide of the post.

All the chances were falling to Lordswood and another one came in the 77th minute when the ball arrived at Sam Colyer’s feet from a corner and his shot from an acute angle was deflected for another corner. 

VCD rubbed salt into the wound when in the 82nd minute John Maine was put through and he raced on into the area and then chipped over the advancing Herbert. 

The fun and Games started in the 86th minute when John Gissing was booked for the second time for elbowing and sent off and manager  Zillwood was ordered off for dissent.

VCD nearly made it six when two minutes from time Terry Hodgkinson running through the middle passed to Maine in the area and Herberts legs saved his shot.

Lordswood: Herbert, Bates, Clements, Johnson, Woodland, Colyer, Hudd (Weeks 72), Cunningham, Short, Gissing, Gianwla (Freeman 52). Sub Piggott