Thursday 01st September 2005

To advertise telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360


Tuesday 15th
March 2005 
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Darrell Harman reports from Charles Sports Ground
Deal Town 1 Biggington 61
Lordswood 2 Almond 23
Cunnigham 25

Lordswood off the bottom

LORDSWOOD'S second successive victory - the only time they have celebrated back to back wins all season - saw them climb off the bottom of the table with victory at Deal Town, closing the gap to just three points on the East Kent side one place above them.

The game was only four minutes old when Lordswood could have taken the lead when Steve Sharp found Andy Doerr inside the box and his slide rule pass was unfortunately miss-kicked by Sam Colyer and the chance went.

Two minutes later a Deal corner was half cleared and Danny Smith's 25-yarder found Adam Govey unmarked 18-yards from goal but his shot was blocked by the legs of onrushing goalkeeper Phil Lewis, making only his second appearance for the Medway outfit.

Lordswood did take a 23rd minute lead when Ashley Russell played the ball upfield for Charlie Almond to run onto and he chipped goalkeeper Jason Hughes from 25-yards.

Paul Piggott's side doubled their lead two minutes later.  Ray Broad threaded the ball through to Mike Cunningham and he rifled home from 15-yards.

A mistake from Lewis almost allowed the home side back into the game but defender Ashley Russell acrobatically cleared the ball off the line.

The second half was seven minutes old when Russell floated a pass to striker Andy Doerr inside the area, and after controlling the ball, his side came back off the crossbar.

Deal had brought on experienced player Andy Biggington and he soon ruffled a few feathers in the Lordswood camp and his flying header, from Jamie Marriott's 61st minute free kick, found the back of the net.

Two minutes later, from a replica of their goal, Ryan Tomlinson headed over.

Biggington had another headed chance which was cleared off the line by Cunningham.

Lordswood, however, were reduced to ten men for the remaining 17 minutes when Neil Crust was sent off for violent conduct but Deal couldn't find another breakthrough so Lordswood climbed off the foot of the table to be replaced by Erith Town.