Thursday 01st September 2005

Rams goalkeeper Twyman denies Lordswood as game ends in deadlock

Lordswood 0-0 Ramsgate
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division
Wednesday 31 March 2004
by Darrell Harman

With the season coming to an end, this encounter started at a slow tempo and Lordswood's first chance came in the 18th minute when dangerman Sean Hetterley cut inside down the left and his shot was saved by Ramsgate goalkeeper Danny Twyman at his near post.

Both defences were on top and chances were at a premium for both sides.  Ramsgate's first real threat came five minutes before the break when Mo Takalogobishi latched onto a ball and his shot was parried away by Lordswood goalkeeper Darren Watson.

Takalogobishi had appeals for a penalty turned down moments later when he was challenged by the Lordswood goalkeeper but all appeals fell on deaf ears.

The second half was only three minutes old when a long ball forward into the Ramsgate penalty area caused confusion in their defence and Gary Beggs was able to get in a shot but it was deflected for a corner.

Lordswood continued to press and in the 57th minute a delightful move from Shawn Mitchell to Ronan O'Connor on the left wing saw O'Connor beat the defender and his low centre was met by Sam Colyer whose flicked shot was superbly pushed away by Twyman.

In the 73rd minute Hetterley reached the right by-line and centred into the six yard box and Andy Doerr's header was flying towards goal but Twyman tipped the effort onto the bar.

Ramsgate created towards the end of the game when Aaron Robinson's shot from an acute angle was cleared by Neil Crust for a corner and the visitors thought they had broken the deadlock with eight minutes remaining when the ball was played to the edge of the penalty area and was volleyed towards goal by Warren Shultz.  The shot beat the goalkeeper but crashed back off the crossbar.

Colyer came close for Lordswood two minutes later but he shot wide after being set up by a cushioned header from Dean Woodland following a corner kick.