Thursday 01st September 2005
Wednesday 20th
April 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Darrell Harman reports from North Dane Way
Lordswood 2 Hetterley 42
Pearce 55
Hythe Town 7 Widnall 3
Godden 4, 77
Brazier 20
Fisk 34
Winfield 78,80

Lordswood stung by Hythe

LORDSWOOD suffered their heaviest home league defeat since becoming a senior club as they ended the season without winning on home soil.

The sorry state of affairs started in the third minute when a corner was only half cleared to Dean Widnall and his 20-yard shot went through a crowd of players and into the net.

Hythe doubled their lead a minute later when Nick Day's long kick forced Lordswood defender John Gissing to miskick the ball and Roy Godden accepted the gift to score.

It could have been three for rampant Hythe in the 14th minute when Lee Winfield's cross found Michael Yianni but Lordswood goalkeeper Phil Lewis forced him wide and saved his shot.

However, six minutes later, Lewis was penalised for handling outside his area - for the third game running - and Jason Brazier curled the free kick around the wall and into the net.

Lordswood's first chance fell to Mike Cunningham - who received the ball from Charlie Almond - and the shot, from an acute angle, was saved by Nick Day's legs.

Another chance fell to the home side when a bad back pass enabled Sean Hetterley to captalise on it and he beat the onrushing goalkeeper but his shot struck the post and Almond blazed the rebound over.

Hythe increased their lead in the 34th minute when Lee Winfield on the right overlapped and his cross was met by Dan Fisk who headed in.

Lordswood finally got on the score sheet in the 42nd minute when Andy Skinner's free kick to the back post was headed on by Gissing and Hetterley nodded home from four yards.

The second half was only two minutes old when Roy Godden on his own surged forward and shot wide from 18 yards.

It could have been five after 54 minutes when Brazier received the ball 30 yards out and turned and shot against the post.

Lordswood, however, pulled a goal back when substitute Chris Pearce, who had only been on the pitch for 30 seconds, chased a back pass and forced Day to miskick the ball and from an acute angle the substitute slotted home.

In the space of three minutes the visitors had scored three.  Roy Godden received the ball inside the area and he beat Lewis with a shot despite the valiant efforts of Ashley Russell to clear off the line.

A minute later a long ball forward was latched onto by Godden and his shot was parried away by Lewis but Lee Winfield turned in the loose ball.

WInfield wrapped up the seventh goal in the 80th minute, shooting home from ten yards.

A season to forget for bottom of the table Lordswood.

Lordswood: Lewis, Burrett, Russell, Gissing, Brown (Gallagher 55), Skinner, Broad, Cunningham (Prout 78), Hetterley, Almond (Pearce 55), Sharp.  Subs: Piggott, Freeman