Thursday 01st September 2005

Lords denied by Hythe's late show

Tuesday 6th 
September 2005

Kentish Observer League

Darrell Harman reports from North Dane Way



Hayfield 30
Doerr 60

Hythe Town


Porter 82 (pen)
Widnall 85

Lordswood maintained their unbeaten start to the season but it could have been better as they were pegged back to a 2-2 draw thanks to Hythe Town scoring twice late on, writes Darrell Harman.

The 73 fans in the ground witnessed a further ten minutes of stoppage time, in which, Hythe's Lee Blackman was sent off for his second yellow card.

Earlier, it took fifteen minutes for the first real chance and it went to Hythe as Ian Hayes' sent in a low cross from the by-line but Roy Godden's six-yarder flew over.

Lordswood's first chance came after 23 minutes when Sean Hetterley went on a mazy run into the area but his cross evaded everyone and the post.

Five minutes later Ashley Russell met Bob Chiverton's corner but his header also went wide.

But they took the lead when Andy Forster's cross was only cleared to Hetterley and his shot was deflected to debutant Jay Hayfield and he turned and shot past the goalkeeper from 15 yards after 30 minutes.

Another chance came in the 33rd minute when Hetterley found Andy Doerr out wide and after cutting inside his shot from 18 yards took a deflection - with the goalkeeper stranded.

The Medway side came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and on the hour they doubled their lead.

Doerr played a free kick to Sam Colyer whose shot from 30 yards was deflected into Doerr's path and he beat the goalkeeper.

Hythe's first chance of the half came two minutes later when Richard Sinden - a recent acquisition from Ryman Leaguers Ramsgate - captalised on a long ball but shot wide.

Coyler almost extended the home side's lead when his header from a corner went just past the post.

But Lordswood were denied their first league victory on home soil for one year as Hythe scored twice late on.

Hythe pulled a goal back in the 82nd minute when Sinden was fouled inside the penalty area and Dan Porter smashed home the penalty.

Three minutes later a free kick into Lordswood's penalty area caused confusion and after Porter's shot was saved by Goalkeeper Gavin Hopper's legs the ball fell nicely for Dean Widnall who headed home despite a valiant effort from Ashley Russell to clear.

Lordswood, however, almost grabbed the three points in the very last minute when Steve Sharp - who was awarded the man of the match award - fed the ball through for Doerr, who beat the onrushing goalkeeper, but a defender managed to get back and clear.


Lordswood: Hopper, Burrett, Russell, Colyer, Hetterley (Philips 86), Forster, Chiverton, Sharp, Doerr, Hayfield (Read 68), Richards.  Subs: Almond, Gissing, Hopkins