Thursday 01st September 2005

Ten-Man Lordswood deserve draw

Lordswood's barren spell of 499 minutes without scoring comes to an end

Lordswood 3-3 Greenwich Borough
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division
Saturday 28 February 2004
by Darrell Harman

Lordswood manager Paul Piggott rung the changes from last week's game making six changes to his side for the home clash against Greenwich Borough.

Damian Robinson, who joined the club from local football, made his debut and Wayne Barlow made a welcome return to the Lordswood team.

The home side should have taken the lead after only five minutes when Barlow's cross found Andy Doerr at the far post but headed over.

Greenwich were awarded a penalty two minutes later when Robinson committed a foul inside the penalty area.  Up stepped Marcus Perona and his spot kick was saved by Watson but the assistant referee flagged as the goalkeeper moved off his line and Perona despatched the second spot kick into the bottom right hand corner.

Lordswood quickly equalised, however, in the 11th minute when pressure on a defender by Barlow on the right hand side of the penalty area and the ball was crossed low to Kevin Thorburn to side foot home from six yards and score his first goal of the season.

The goal also ended Lordswood's barren spell of 499 minutes without scoring a goal.

Greenwich came close to taking the lead in the 25th minute when Franklin Dixon was released into the home penalty area and chipped the onrushing goalkeeper but Thorburn cleared the ball off the line.

Three minutes later Greenwich did find the back of the net.  The ball was played across the six yard area and Dixon was denied by Watson but he scored from an acute angle from the rebound.

The second half was only seconds old when dangerman Dixon escaped the defenders but Watson came rushing off the line to block the shot.

The home side equalised in the 48th minute when the ball was played out to Craig Allen on the right and his cross to the back post was headed back into the six yard box by Thorburn and the ball fell to Andy Doerr's feet and he coolly slotted home to score his first ever senior goal for the club from six yards.

Dixon won himself and Greenwich another penalty kick in the 59th minute after he was fouled by Neil Crust and Dixon stepped up and fired into the bottom right hand corner.

Lordswood were reduced to ten men in the 63rd minute when the referee sent off Mark Dudley for allegedly swearing at the assistant.

The game started to go Lordswood's way as they piled forward in search of the equaliser and in the 65th minute Doerr let fly a shot from the edge of the penalty area that whistled past the post but a gilt edged chance fell to Allen who should have poked home but blasted the shot over the crossbar.

Lordswood finally got the equaliser they deserved in stoppage time when Allen's cross from inside the penalty area found Sean Hetterley who smacked the ball into the net from six yards to earn the home side a share of the spoils.

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360