Thursday 01st September 2005

The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

To Sponsor our MATCH OF THE DAY
Telephone Stephen McCartney
07979 418 360

Tuesday 18th
January 2005
FA Carlsberg Trophy
Third Round Replay
Stephen McCartney reports from Stompond Lane
Walton & Hersham 1 Tristan Frontin 53
Tonbridge Angels 1 Danny Lye 13

(aet, Walton & Hersham won 3-2 on penalties)

Tonbridge pay the penalty

WALTON & HERSHAM deservedly booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Trophy - but needed penalties to dispose of higher league opposition at Stompond Lane.

Their Ryman Premier League visitors will rue their missed opportunity to finish the job off at the first attempt at their Avavan Longmead Stadium on Saturday.

In that game, Tonbridge Angels player-boss Tony Dolby got his side off to a perfect start, scoring from the penalty spot after eleven minutes but the Surrey side survived many squandered chances by the Kent side and grabbed an equaliser - again from the penalty spot - through Lee Riddell late on.

It was no surprise, however, that the replay went down to the wire - with Tonbridge failing to take advantage of taking an early lead again - only to go out of the competition 3-2 on penalties after the game finished level at 1-1 after extra time.

In a tight match, the Swans created the first chance of the game after five minutes when lively striker Mark Nwokeji got the better of Angels defender Nick Humphrey on the right hand side of the area before centering for Riddell to blaze over from 14-yards.

Tonbridge, however, opened the scoring after 13 minutes when former Folkestone Invicta midfielder Anthony Hogg's free kick was met by Danny Lye - nipping in front of the goalkeeper - to plant his header into the top corner of the net.

The impressive Riddell was fouled by Gareth Street in midfield and it was his free kick that opened another chance for Nwokeji, after ghosting in between two defenders, his powerful header flew over.

Walton's Lee Allum intercepted a square pass in midfield after 33 minutes and raced towards Jamie Turner's goal but classy defending from Humphrey - who made up ground - prevented a goal and won his side a goal-kick in the process.

After winning two corners in quick succession, Hogg's 20-yard low drive was comfortably saved low down by Walton's goalkeeper Nick Gindre.

Was a 1-0 lead enough for the Angels to see them through to the fourth round - and a trip to Stamford?

Well, no and Reive issued them a warning  when his rasping 25-yarder warmed the hands of Turner in the Tonbridge goal before he was picking the ball out of his net in the 53rd minute.

Nwokeji spun away from his marker to play a low diagonal ball for Tristan Frontin to latch onto and he coolly fired the ball low into the bottom far corner to bring the Swans deservedly level.

The goal sparked the Ryman League Division One hosts into life but the Angels failed to offer much up front but kept the home side at bay for the remainder of the game - just.

With ten minutes to go, Angels substitute Jay May - who arrived at the ground late and was demoted to the bench - clashed with Gindre on the edge of the penalty area and was booked for the challenge.

The home side were inspired by substitute Carl Gibbs, who came off the bench after 61 minutes, and he fired into the side netting on the left hand side of the Angels box in the last seven minutes.

Tonbridge - supported well by their travelling fans - had Turner to thank for delaying their exit as he made three good saves inside stoppage time.

Riddell latched onto a long ball which cut through the visiting defence and with only the former Gravesend & Northfleet stopper to beat, his shot from just outside the box was blocked by the goalkeeper who came rushing out to the edge of his area to make the decisive block.

Walton, however, squandered two good chances to clinch victory in extra time with Gibbs' overhead kick clipping against the Angels left post.

Dolby's long range left-footed free kick was the best the visitors could muster in the extra 30 minutes so the game went into the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

Tonbridge missed their first two spot kicks with Lye blazing over and Street's kick beaten out by a diving Gindre.  The Swans, however, raced into a 2-0 advantage as Scott Edgar and James Reive both scored from 12 yards.  Dolby and John Farley netted for the Angels, as did Lee Donnell for the home side.  With his side 3-2 up, Walton's Reggie Savage, who came onto the pitch with six minutes of extra time left, saw his left-footed penalty saved by Turner but when Angels skipper Craig Roser clipped the crossbar the dream ended for Tonbridge.

Walton & Hersham: Nick Gindre, Francis Dolan (Capt), Jamie Reive, Danny Lavender, Tristan Frontin (Reggie Savage 114), Adam Thompson, Lee Riddle, Mark Nwokeji (Carl Gibbs 61), Scott Edgar, Lee Allum (Lee Donnell 105), Wes Goggin.

Tonbridge Angels: Jamie Turner, Kieron Wilson, Craig Roser (Capt), John Beales, Nick Humphrey (Tony Dolby 92), John Farley, Gareth Street, Danny Lye, Luke Piscina (Patrick Blackman 103), Brendon Cass, Anthony Hogg (Jay May 58). Subs: Tom Reeves, Michael Cramp

Referee: Ian Crouch
Assistants: A Groves & J O'Brien
Fourth Official: D Ford