Thursday 01st September 2005

The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

Monday 8th
November 2004
Pepsi FA Youth Cup
First Round Proper
Stephen McCartney reports from Brisbane Road
Leyton Orient 3 Tom Zeipe 29
Jason Demetriou 45
Brian Saah 53
Tonbridge Angels 1 Tom Reeves 84 (pen)

Extremely proud!

Tonbridge Angels manager Barry Jeffrey was beaming with pride after his side put on a good show at Brisbane Road against Coca Cola League side Leyton Orient tonight.

Although his side went out of the Pepsi FA Youth Cup in the first round - after disposing of Littlehampton Town, Chipstead and Eastbourne Borough to get there - the loudest cheer of the night came when the Angels scored their 84th minute consolation.

Substitute Alex McEwan won the penalty off Brian Glover and highly-rated sixteen-year-old striker Tom Reeves - wanted by Portsmouth and Chelsea - stepped up to fire the spot kick into the bottom left hand corner of the net to score a deserved consolation.

As expected, the East Londoners showed good touch on the ball and attacking left winger, Aiden Palmer was clearly their best player and he received an ovation from the small crowd when he left the pitch nine minutes from time.

The home side applied early pressure with Tom Ziepe firing over from distance and Angels' goalkeeper Shayne Goldsmith saved Palmer's 25-yard effort before the Kent side created their best chance of the game.

Striker Kevin Carpenter, just outside the penalty area, threaded the ball behind the home defence and Reeves latched onto the ball but goalkeeper Clark Johnson rushed off his line to smother at the striker's feet twelve yards from goal.

Goldsmith was called into action again, saving from Scott Wallis' 25-yarder as the Angels weathered the early storm.

After 23 minutes, however, Carpenter squared the ball to Reeves but his low drive outside the box was comfortably saved.

Leyton Orient, however, took a deserved lead six minutes later when Zeipe's floated shot from just outside the penalty area on the left, deceived Goldsmith and found the far corner.

Tonbridge conceded their second goal of the game at the wrong time as Jason Demetriou finished off a fine move from inside the six yard box on the stroke of half time.

Matt Hollyoak - who made his Angels first team debut on Saturday - found Carpenter inside the penalty area but his hooked volley from seventeen yards went wide early in the second half.

Brian Saah and Ziepe were off target for the Coca Cola League side before they wrapped up the victory with their third goal in the 53rd minute.

A pinpoint cross from Derek Duncan on the left was met on the volley at the far post by Saah whose eight-yard shot crashed into the back of the net.

The travelling Tonbridge contingent shouted encouragement from the South Stand throughout the game and they were very proud of their team's performance.

Michael Cramp's right-footed attempt from 28-yards sailed over before Lee Hamilton headed McEwan's cross wide as the Angels enjoyed a good spell with the home side content with a 3-0 lead.

Tonbridge fully deserved their late consolation and they will look back on this game with fond memories, but it's back to Longmead Stadium on Thursday when they play Fleet Town in the Southern Youth League Cup.

Angels manager Barry Jeffrey couldn't hide his feelings about how proud he was of his team.

He said:  "Very proud!  The boys gave their all.

"I think the main difference would be their fitness and their touch.

"When you consider they are full-time professionals, training day in day out, seven days a week and that ultimately was the difference for us."

Angels can be pleased with their night's football, losing 3-1 inside a Coca Cola League Stadium, against a side where some of their players have already tasted first team football.

Jeffrey revealed: "Their manager told us that three players in their side were 16-year-olds and three of their players have played first team football, one of which has played over 40 games, which showed.

"They had a lot of class about them and I am certainly proud of the boys.

"We thoroughly deserved the goal.  After we virtually weathered the early storm in the first 15 minutes, I felt we actually had an opportunity to actually take the lead, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

"Unfortunately we had Matt Hollyoak and skipper Ian Parkes playing for Kent yesterday, which rather didn't help us but it's something we have to get on with.  The boys that came on did exceptionally well."

And the manager thanked the travelling supporters for their encouragement throughout the game.

"We put on a good show and our supporters were very appreciative of the boys' performance.  They were magnificent and they've been like that all season for us, assisting the boys when they've been down and not playing so well.

"Putting on a show against a professional side - it's pleasing."

Leyton Orient: Clark Johnson, Brian Glover, Aiden Palmer (Jamal Fyfield 81), Brian Saah (Capt), Joe Ocearuill, Danny Glozier, Jason Demetriou, Tom Ziepe, Scott Wallis, Nuno Gourgiel (Raf Sylvester 65), Derek Duncan.  Sub: Easton Davis

Tonbridge Angels: Shayne Goldsmith, Richard Cole, Louis Smith, Michael Cramp, Richard Shaw, Lee Hamilton, Matt Hollyoak (Matt Crane 56), Ian Parkes (Capt, Adam Davies 65), Kevin Carpenter, Tom Reeves, Elliott Everson (Alex McEwan 47).  Subs: Joe Brookman, Neil Davies

Referee: Colin Overall
Assistants: G Coster & R Jaye