Thursday 01st September 2005
Runaway leaders Tonbridge notch up fifteenth win
Sittingbourne 0-2 Tonbridge Angels
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
Saturday 22 November 2003
Tonbridge Angels phenomenal unbeaten league run continues as they notched up their 15th win in 16 league games, however Sittingbourne made them fight all the way on the sodden Bourne Park pitch in front of their biggest crowd this season.

Tonbridge had a sprinkling of ex-Brickies in their squad, including amazingly enough 4 out of 5 of their named substitutes. Ex Brickies actually starting for the Angels were Sam Tydeman and their captain Peter Overton.

The game itself was played with a background of good banter from both sets of supporters which was good to hear again at a Brickies match.

Tonbridge had a good deal of early possession and on 6 minutes a Ray Powell cross was latched onto by Nick Byrnes and fired just wide of the Brickies goal, however despite the possession that was their best chance of the half.

Sittingbourne began to settle after 20 minutes and came into the game as on loan Michael Smissen smashed a 30 yard effort just wide, then two minutes later a marvellous Bradley Spice jinking run ended in a pass to Kieran Marsh who also shot just wide. The game then settled into a midfield affair for the rest of the half as neither side could find the creative spark.

The second half started as the first had ended, a very even affair, and little happened until on 56 minutes the dangerous Ray Powell blasted a shot over the Brickies goal. The rain began to fall even more heavily but both sides were coping remarkably well.

The game turned on 62 minutes when the Brickies defence backed away as Luke Piscina ran at them, the ball broke to centrally placed Ray Powell and Powell's shot deflected past Fewell to give Tonbridge the lead.

Sittingbourne regained their composure and the expected Tonbridge onslaught never materialised, instead it was the Brickies through Smissen who had the next chance as his header from a Spice corner flew narrowly past the left hand upright.

Sittingbourne continued to hold their own but couldn't find the all important opening. On 85 minutes most of the Brickies were left stranded upfield when a marvellous through ball found Ray Powell who fired the ball past Fewell for his and Tonbridge's second.

Sittingbourne had a chance right on time when Tom Berry and Jon Neal set up a shot for Kieran Marsh but the effort was blasted over.

Sittingbourne: Fewell, Ainsworth, Dowley, D Smith, Campbell, Yorath, Spice (Berry 80 mins), Marsh, Neal, Smissen, Lye, Subs not used: Taylor, Brooks, Beeney.

Tonbridge Angels: Turner, Byrnes Rowland 76 mins), Roser, Dolby, Larkin, Beales, Tydeman, Overton, Powell, Barr (Searle 80 mins), Piscina (Cass 83 mins),  Subs not used: Hume, Hodge