Thursday 01st September 2005

Stamford happy with goal-less draw

Stalemate fair result as Stamford remain unbeaten in 2004

Sittingbourne 0-0 Stamford
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
Saturday 28 February 2004
by Peter Pitts

Stamford extended their unbeaten run to 9 games, but they were made to fight all the way by a determined Sittingbourne side.

Sittingbourne were without the injured Ben Taylor and Lee Browning, and the suspended Danny Lye whilst Jon Neal came in for David Cory who started on the subs bench, otherwise the side was the same as the one that defeated
Ashford in mid week.

Sittingbourne began brightly and on 8 minutes Jamie Coyle headed a Paul Manning corner over the bar.

Stamford's first threat came on 14 minutes when a corner caused problems in the Brickies area but referee Mr Beadle blew up for a foul on Kevin Fewell.

At the other end Sittingbourne then had two efforts in as many minutes as first Jon Neal's shot was well held by Stamford keeper Ludek Michalik then a Paul Ainsworth shot went just wide.

This was  a good confident start by Sittingbourne against a Stamford side who are yet to beaten in 2004.

Sittingbourne were having the most efforts on goal and on 39 minutes a Sittingbourne free kick led to Jamie Coyle firing just wide. Despite having the better of the play Sittingbourne should have gone a goal behind when a pin point Danny Steadman cross found an unmarked Kevin Byrne but from no more than 10 yards out Stamford's  leading goal scorer scooped the ball over the bar.

Sittingbourne began the second half strongly and continued to press forward, Stamford at times had all ten men in their half of the pitch. This didn't stop the Brickies from getting a site at goal and on 55 minutes Jon Neal
shot from just outside the area, Michalik failed to hold the shot but no one was on hand to snap up the chance.

Then came a golden opportunity for the Brickies as good work by Michael Smissen on the by-line set up Jon Neal but he blasted the ball over the bar.

Stamford briefly threatened and Kevin Fewell pulled of  a good   save but this was a rare Stamford shot.

Sittingbourne had a couple of efforts mid way through the half, from Tom Berry and Kieran Marsh, but they were easily dealt with by Michalik.

Sittingbourne continued to come forward and on 81 minutes Jamie Coyle found Michael Smissen who although under tremendous pressure managed a lob at goal but the ball  arced away and struck the post / bar upright.

Smissen had another shot deflected wide but time ran out and in the end a draw was probably a fair result.
Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Dowley, Berry, Ainsworth, Campbell, Gooding, Marsh, Neal (Cory 85 mins), Smissen, Manning,  Subs not used: Ashmore, Yorath, Hill, O'Neil.

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360