Thursday 01st September 2005

Chatham back to winning ways
Tuesday 28th October 2003
Dr Marten League Cup
Sittingbourne 1 Chatham Town 2
Report by: Peter Pitts

Chatham Town shook off their poor form this season and ran out worthy winners of this local derby in the Dr Marten League Cup against a Sittingbourne side that showed none of the passion seen in recent games.

Missing from the Sittingbourne line up were Kevin Fewell, Kieran Marsh and Jamie Coyle all injured, and Lee Browning and Danny Lye, both rested. Back after his suspension came captain Ben Taylor.

Chatham started brightly and on 8 minutes Garry Tilley had a shot palmed away by Mark Beeney then a far post ball picked out Steve Rutter in a good position but his shot flew across the goal. Rutter had another effort 3 minutes later but
this time his shot was blocked by Beeney.
Sittingbourne seemed to have their minds on the Trophy tie at Burgess Hill instead of this game and were not in it at this stage.

On 20 minutes Francis Collins found an unmarked Gary Tilley just yards from the goal but the ball bobbled and he didn't strike it cleanly so it flew over the Brickies bar. This had been a giant let off. Soon after Paul Ainsworth produced heroics to hook the ball off the Brickies goal line but in the process he injured himself and was replaced by James Campbell, himself still recovering from injury.

Sittingbourne at last settled the ship and on 29 minutes Paul Davis put a peach of a pass through to Jon Neal who went striding towards the Chatham goal and produced a perfect finish to beat ex Brickie Gavin Hopper and put the Brickies
undeservedly a goal up.
This goal deflated Chatham and the rest of the half belonged to Sittingbourne. 

Sittingbourne started the second half strongly and on 55 minutes ex Chatham Town player Joe Dowley found Matt Nicholl who passed inside to Paul Davies but he sent his shot well wide from an excellent position. Then a long range shot from
Bradley Spice was easily held by Hopper.
The Brickies then seemed to take their foot off the pedal and on 62 minutes a quick Chatham free kick found Kevin Spriggs but his shot went wide. Two minutes later Chatham were level and again the goal came from a dead ball situation as a free kick just outside the area found Steve Rutter who produced a great shot from a tight angle to beat Mark Beeney.
Sittingbourne were shell shocked and 7 minutes later a terrific shot from Francis Collins rebounded off the Brickies crossbar out to Steve Rutter who fired home to settle the match.

Sittingbourne, still with their eye on Saturdays match, didn't seem to try to raise their game and the game was over as a contest.

A game to forget for Sittingbourne, but Steve Binks Chatham Town Manager will be hoping that this victory will be the springboard to badly needed Dr Marten League points. Just a word about referee Mr Buck who had a good game and
refereed the game sensibly.
Sittingbourne: Beeney L Smith (Berry 46 mins), Dowley, Ainsworth (Campbell 21 mins), Yorath, Taylor, Nicholls (Marshall 72 mins), D Smith, Neal, Spice,Davies.

Chatham Town: Hopper, Binks, Robinson, Berkhauer, Cooke, Best, Spriggs, Douglas, Rutter Lombardo 81 mins), Collins (Foster 85 mins), Tilley, subs not used: Abbott, Brooks, Radbourne