Thursday 01st September 2005
Saturday 17th July 2004 Pre-Season Friendly  
Peter Pitts Reports from Bourne Park  
Sittingbourne 0  
Charlton Athletic XI 3 Lloyd Sam 52,62,
Barry Fuller 83

Sittingbourne's pre-season preparations kicked off against a Charlton Athletic XI.

Charlton's first team have jetted off to China so the Addicks put out a team consisting of those on the fringe of the first team and up and coming youngsters.

The Brickies have retained most of last seasons squad that finished the season so strongly, the notable absentee being Buster Smissen who has returned to Dover Athletic.

It was good to see Paul Campbell back and manager Mark Beeney also tried out a couple of new faces, Shane Campbell who was named Sponsors man of the match, Ben Lazlett from Deal, and Ian Young.

The club had planned a bouncy castle and a barbecue after the game but the vagaries of the English weather intervened and the three hours of rain, thunder and lightening preceeding the game meant that these events were cancelled.

The weather also almost certainly limited the crowd and it was ironic that by the final whistle the sun was shining.

The game itself began evenly with the strong Sittingbourne defence holding the enthusiastic Charlton side.

David Cory was trying hard up front, Jon Neal and Bradley Spice were missing through injury so the Brickies were somewhat short on fire power, however both Clint Gooding and Shane Campbell had decent early efforts, Gooding's shot being blocked by former Manchester United  and Huddersfield Town keeper Paul Rachubka whilst Campbell had an effort blocked and then went agonisingly close with a shot that skewed wide.

Charlton's danger man was the highly rated Lloyd Sam who with two minutes of the first half remaining forced a good block from Kevin Fewell in the Brickies goal.

Sittingbourne made a  number of defensive changes for the second half and this gave Charlton the initiative.

They took the lead seven minutes into the half when Sam slotted the ball past Fewell. Sittingbourne were finding it hard to make progress and ten minutes later Sam was on hand again this time sending a fine angled shot past Fewell.

The Brickies brought Jamie Coyle and Shane Campbell back onto the field and Sittingbourne came back into the match.

With seven minutes to go a fine Paul Campbell pass found ex Bermudan international Ian Young whose attempted lob was well held by Rachhubka.

The ball was passed up field and Barry Fuller ran through the Brickies defence
to fire past Fewell and score the Addicks third.