Thursday 01st September 2005

Sittingbourne now unbeaten in four games

No goals but an exciting game at Bourne Park

Sittingbourne 0-0 Banbury United
Saturday 13 March 2004
Dr Martens League Eastern Division
by Peter Pitts

Both teams extended their unbeaten runs to four games,  but Banbury felt
that they deserved to win after an 87th minute penalty shout, however the
Brickies deserved something from this game after producing another good

Despite the 0-0 scoreline this was an exciting game. This was not a typical
end of season mid table affair probably because of the fight to finish in
the top seven which if successful  will mean  competing  in the top non
league division outside of the conference next season. Realistically of the
two teams  Banbury have  the best chance of this but dropping two vital
points is a big blow to them.

Sittingbourne were almost back to full strength and because of the recent
form of the team there was no place in the starting line up  for defender
Ben Taylor who had just completed a 5 match suspension. Banbury were still
without the injured Les Robinson but otherwise played the same team that had
done so well of late.

Sittingbourne had the better of  the early play however the first chance
fell to Banbury on 21 minutes when  a defence splitting ball found George
Redknapp but Sittingbourne goalkeeper Kevin Fewell got down well to save the
shot. Banbury were now pressing forward and  Ollie Stanbridge forced a save
from Fewell then he fired an effort across the Brickies area which Redknapp
just failed to get to. Sittingbourne weathered the storm and on 37 minutes a
Jamie Coyle shot forced Banbury goalkeeper Simon Tricker to save with his
legs.  Jamie Coyle then set up a chance for Clint Gooding but his shot was
deflected and Sittingbourne finished the half once again on top.

The second half began with a good early spell from Banbury but  the pendulum
again swung Sittingbourne's way  and  James Campbell had a great chance  on
60 minutes but from 15 yards out the Brickies defender fired the ball over
the bar.

Banbury  came back into the match with substitute Wayne Blossom firing in an
effort which Fewell held well, then Fewell punched out a corner straight to
Chris Potter but his shot flew over the Brickies bar.

Sittingbourne then had a great chance as David Cory burst through the
Puritans defence and he looked odds on to score but  Tricker blocked the

This see saw of a game then swung Banbury's way as Redknapp headed a good
chance over . A minute later Chris Jackson caused chaos in the Brickies area
which  ended in Redknapp lying injured on the ground and Jackson claiming
that he was tripped, however Mr Yeo waved away the Banbury shouts for a

The action wasn't over and deep into injury time Sittingbourne won a corner
which caused panic in the penalty area and it was Banbury's turn to make
frantic attempts to clear the ball.  In the end a draw was a fair reflection
of the play between two evenly matched teams.
Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Dowley (Hill 32 mins), Berry, Ainsworth,
Campbell, Gooding, Marsh, Neal, Cory (Smissen 79 mins), Manning, subs not
used: Yorath, Taylor, Williams.