Thursday 01st September 2005

07979 418 360

Saturday 12th
February 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Peter Pitts reports from Bourne Park
Sittingbourne 2 Browning 36
Spice 67
Leighton Town 2 Silvestri 76
Rawdon 87

Sittingbourne maintain unbeaten run

Sittingbourne go five games without defeat after this draw against Leighton Town, they will however be disappointed not to have taken all three points having built up a 2-0 lead against a side that they have already beaten twice this season.

Sittingbourne, with the strong wind at their backs started the brighter and Leighton's Lee Clarke was by far the busier keeper doing well to tip over a header after 24 minutes from James Campbell and then he repeated the feat nine minutes later this time from Adam Douglas.

Sittingbourne took the lead on 36 minutes when the ball was cleared up field to David Cory whose attempted cross bounced off the far post straight to the onrushing Lee Browning who fired home.

Three minutes later a Jamie Coyle cross bounced off the crossbar and Sittingbourne continued to press for the rest of the half with Campbell heading over and Coyle blasting a shot over
the bar.

Sittingbourne began the second half handling the strong wind much better than Leighton had done and on 52 minutes Bradley Spice had a good shot blocked by Clarke.

On 67 minutes Kieran Marsh was pulled back just outside the Leighton area and from the free kick Spice struck a low shot through the wall and despite Clarke getting a hand to the ball he was only able to palm it into the net.

The omens looked good for the Brickies as they had managed to extend their lead despite playing against the wind.  However, on 78 minutes a ball into the Brickies area was caught first time by Enzo Silvestri who scooped the ball over Kevin Fewell who was some distance off his line and Leighton had been given a lifeline.

Leighton took heart from this goal and pushed forward. A Leighton player had a bicycle kick go just wide then both Jason Haggerwood and Bruce Wilson had efforts go wide.

Sittingbourne attempted to shore up their defence by replacing forward David Cory with defender Paul Ainsworth but Ainsworth had only been on the pitch for two minutes when the defence failed to clear a right wing cross, Fewell came rushing out to punch the ball but under pressure he only succeeded in punching the ball as far as Matt Rawdon who blasted the ball home to pull Leighton level.

Leighton almost snatched a winner on 88 minutes when they won a free kick and from it Haggerwood headed against the bar.

Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Dowley, Gooding, Campbell, Hill, Douglas, Marsh, Cory (Ainsworth), Spice, Browning, Subs: Ashmore, Tanner, Nolan, Neal