Thursday 01st September 2005 - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football

Tuesday 7
September 2004
Ryman League
Premier Division
Richard Murrill reports from Westbourne Stadium
Folkestone Invicta 2 Glover 39, Flanaghan 55
Tonbridge Angels 0  

Glover inspired Folkestone comfortably beat Kent rivals

Goals from Simon Glover and Adam Flanagan gave Folkestone Invicta a comfortable 2-0 victory over fellow Kent side Tonbridge Angels at a windy Westbourne Stadium in the Ryman Premier League on Tuesday night.

GLOVER opened the scoring after 39 minutes when he finished off a flowing move from the home side which also involved Drew Watkins and Micheal Everitt.

And centre half FLANAGAN made it 2-0 after 55 minutes when he headed in a Paul Lamb corner from the right hand side which hung in the air.

Invicta’s goalscoring prowess had been under the microscope after firing blanks in their last two away matches, but it was the visitors were left questioning their attacking options as the Folkestone side recorded their fourth clean sheet in eight matches.

Invicta went into the game with captain Scott Lindsey back after an ankle injury in place of hamstring victim Martin Chandler and John Walker coming in for striker Ian Pulman.

That gave blond striker Glover a more attacking role and he became more of a threat as the game went on.

Tonbridge were themselves without former Invicta players Andy Larkin and Tim Hambley, as well as striker Brendan Cass.

Chances were few and far between in the opening half hour, though Invicta made most of the early running and forced a flurry of corners.

Patrick Blackman shot over from the edge of the penalty area for Tonbridge after 30 minutes, after Luke Piscina got the better of John Guest down the left hand side, while at the other end Lamb fired wide when Everitt played him in down the left after 32 minutes.

Tonbridge captain Craig Roser headed off the line when Glover met a Watkins free kick with a glancing header after 36 minutes.

Piscina shot wide from the right hand side of the box after 39 minutes as Tonbridge tried to make an instant reply to Glover’s opener. 

There were more chances after the interval as Walker shot at Tonbridge goalkeeper Jamie Turner and Lamb blocked from former Invicta player Anthony Hogg as the visitors forced their only corner of the game within the opening couple of minutes of the second half.

Jonathan Heath volleyed wide for Tonbridge after 51 minutes and Blackman shot at goalkeeper Tony Kessell when Sam Tydeman put him through two minutes later.

Flanagan’s goal put Invicta well and truly in the driving seat and it was nearly 3-0 when Glover’s header went agonisingly wide of the post after James Dryden and Everitt had combined down the right hand side in the 64th minute.

Glover then cut in from the left and shot at Turner after 82 minutes as his pace caused the Tonbridge defence problems as the Angels six-game unbeaten run came to a disappointing end.

There were bookings for Tonbridge’s Roser (clattering into Glover after 61 minutes), Piscina (reckless challenge on Everitt after 68 minutes), John Farley (dissent after 71 minutes) and player-manager Tony Dolby (dissent after 82 minutes).

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Tony Kessell, Drew Watkins, Paul Lamb, Adam Flanaghan, John Guest, Scott Lindsey (C), Michael Everitt, Mark Munday, James Dryden, John Walker, Simon Glover.  Subs: Ian Pulman, Luke Coleman, Lee Dryson, Daniel Morrin

TONBRIDGE ANGELS: Jamie Turner, John Beales, Craig Roser (C), Tony Dolby, John Farley, Symon Stickney, Sam Tydeman, Jonathan Heath (John Sinclair 52), Luke Piscina (Joe Fuller 71), Patrick Blackman, Anthony Hogg.  Subs: Kieron Wilson, Ross Mills

Attendance: 445.


To Advertise Here - Telephone Stephen McCartney - 07979 418 360