Thursday 01st September 2005

Everitt makes sure Invicta don't slip up

Saturday 24th
September 2005
FA Cup
Second Qualifying Round
Richard Murrill reporting
St Margaretsbury 0  
Folkestone Invicta 1 Michael Everitt 73

A 73rd minute goal from Micheal Everitt gave Folkestone Invicta victory in Saturday’s F. A. Cup Second Qualifying Round tie away to St Margaretsbury as Neil Cugley’s side avoided a potential banana skin against their Spartan South Midland League opponents who had accounted for Billericay in the previous round, writes Richard Murrill.

22-year-old Everitt struck from close range to win the tie after Stuart Myall played the ball in from the left hand side and substitute Joe Neilson put goalkeeper Kris Smithers under pressure.

The elder Everitt brother will have fond memories of the F. A. Cup as he made his first senior appearance for Invicta in a Preliminary Round tie at home to Cryodon Athletic back in August 1999. He scored a second half equaliser away to Dulwich Hamlet in a Preliminary Round tie in August 2003 before two late goals from Allan Tait gave Invicta a 3-1 victory and he also brought Invicta level in last season’s Second Qualifying Round replay at home to Harrow Borough before Invicta went out on penalties despite the hard-working midfielder being successful with his own spot kick.

It was a case of job done on Saturday for an Invicta side who knew that they would have to compete on a bobbly pitch in rural Hertfordshire.

Invicta had an early chance in the second minute when right back James Everitt volleyed over from the edge of the box, but clear cut chances were to be at a premium.

Simon Glover’s pace was always likely to be a key factor for Invicta in this tie, but the striker did not get enough power on his first time shot when a Paul Lamb ball over the defence put him through after 21 minutes.

St Margaretsbury’s best chance of the first half came after 29 minutes as striker Ryan Brown shot over when Jason Beck played the ball in from the left hand side.

At the other end, Glover did not make enough of his chance when the ball broke to him on the right hand side after 32 minutes.

St Margaretsbury goalkeeper Smithers made the save of the first half when he kept out a Micheal Everitt shot after 38 minutes when Glover broke down the left hand side and played the ball across.

Invicta made a tactical change at half time as striker Joe Neilson replaced left back Lamb, with Glover moving to a wide left position and Steve Norman moving across to full back in a four-man defence.

The move almost paid instant dividends as Neilson shot at goalkeeper Smithers after 48 minutes.

There was a scare for Invicta after 55 minutes when goalkeeper Tony Kessell was booked for accidentally collecting and handling the ball just outside his penalty area and Steve Barker curled the subsequent free kick just wide.

Record appearance holder James Dryden was making his 250th start for Invicta and the striker hooked a shot just wide when Myall threw the ball in from the right after 71 minutes.

The decisive goal was to come a minute later.

St Margaretsbury responded as Broke down the right hand side after 76 minutes but ultimately played the ball harmlessly across goal.

Substitute Ben Tobin hit a 25-yard free kick wide after 81 minutes and home captain John Barker headed wide when Tobin played the ball over from the right hand side five minutes into stoppage time.

St Margaretsbury: Smithers, Lovett, Williams, J. Barker, Draper, S. Barker (Tobin 76), Herod, Birnie, Brown, Gray (Petrov 84), Beck.  Subs: Coombes, Stock, Maskell.

Folkestone Invicta: Kessell, J. Everitt, Lamb (Neilson 45), Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey, M. Everitt, Myall, Dryden, Glover, Norman.  Subs: Sly, Watson, Chandler, Mann.

Attendance: 212.