Thursday 01st September 2005

Invicta equal their best ever FA Cup run

Saturday 8th
October 2005
FA Cup
Third Qualifying Round
Richard Murrill reports from Buzzlines Stadium
Folkestone Invicta 2 Flanagan 22
Jones 45
Staines Town 0  

Folkestone Invicta equalled their best ever run in the F. A. Cup when first half goals from Adam Flanagan and Paul Jones gave them victory over a much-fancied Staines Town side at the Buzzlines Stadium on Saturday afternoon and a fifth clean sheet in six matches ensured that there was to be no way back for the visitors, writes Richard Murrill.

Centre half Flanagan opened the scoring after 21 minutes when he smashed the ball into the net from close range after goalkeeper Shaun Allaway had saved a re-taken James Dryden free kick, Micheal Everitt played the ball back in form the right hand side and big Fiston Manuella hooked the ball off the line.

The free kick had been re-taken for encroachment and Staines captain Danny Gordon was booked after Dryden’s initial set piece strike had dipped just over the crossbar, with Staines’ Dwayne Plummer off the pitch to put on his correct number ten shirt.

Former Ashford Town striker Jones, however, made it 2-0 during first half stoppage time when he headed in his first goal since the opening day of the season after Flanagan had nodded the ball on.

Staines enjoyed the bulk of possession after the interval without reducing the deficit and Invicta were able to enjoy a relatively comfortably victory, though captain Scott Lindsey was sent off for foul and abusive language after 89 minutes.

Invicta went into the game with an unchanged line up and Dryden shot at goalkeeper Allaway from outside the penalty area after three minutes.

At the other end, a low shot from André De Lisser flashed across goal from the right hand side after 14 minutes.

Staines responded after Flanagan’s opener as Jake Newton stole in and blasted over when Steve Norman blocked his initial shot after 25 minutes.

Newton then showed good footwork inside the box from a Plummer ball after 32 minutes, but goalscorer Flanagan was there to block.

For Invicta, hard-working striker Jones did well to hold the ball up when Lindsey played it over the defence and forced a save from goalkeeper Allaway, with Marien Ifura there to clear for the game’s first corner after 35 minutes.

Flanagan had another chance after 43 minutes when he headed Paul Lamb’s corner from the right wide at the far post.

But Jones’ goal right on half time was to give Invicta breathing space.

Staines rallied after half time and Invicta goalkeeper Tony Kessell touched over the crossbar from Plummer when Clement James’ cross from the left came off Flanagan’s head after 50 minutes.

Vastly experienced substitute Craig Maskell then didn’t make the most of his chance when Manuella played the ball in after 58 minutes.

Jones was well wide with an attempted lob when the ball broke to him after 63 minutes, whilst at the other end Norma blocked when Tariq Nabil took the ball on and shot from the edge of the penalty area.

37-year-old Staines player/assistant-manager Maskell blasted over at the far post after 70 minutes when James went past James Everitt down the left flank and his cross eluded Flanagan.

Manuella headed over from close range when Maskell played the ball in from the left after 86 minutes.

Jones then whipped in a cross from the left during stoppage time but the consistent Norman was there to clear at the far post.

Invicta defender John Guest (kicking the ball away after nine minutes) and Staines’ Michael Murphy (dissent after 72 minutes) were also booked as none of the game’s cards came from fouls.

Folkestone Invicta: Kessell, J. Everitt, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey, M. Everitt, Myall, Dryden (Neilson 89), Jones (Glover 89), Norman.  Subs: Dunlop, Chandler, Mann.

Staines Town: Allaway, Gordon, Murphy (McDonald 79), Ifura (Muldowney 54), Flitter, Newton, De Lisser, Manuella, Nabil, Plummer (Maskell 54) , James.  Subs: Browne, Williams.  

Attendance: 337.