Thursday 01st September 2005

Dryden hat-trick just the tonic after Trophy hangover

Monday 28th
November 2005
Ryman Premier League Richard Murrill reports from Buzzlines Stadium
Folkestone Invicta 3 Dryden 18,66,69
Slough Town 0  

Folkestone Invicta bounced back from the disappointment of Saturday’s FA Trophy exit with a comprehensive win over Slough Town on Monday night as record goalscorer James Dryden hit a hat-trick in a morale-boosting 3-0 victory, writes Richard Murrill.

Invicta dominated from the start at the Buzzlines Stadium and Dryden’s fourth hat-trick for the club will have raised confidence as Neil Cugley’s side look to climb up the Ryman Premier League table.

All of Invicta’s walking wounded from Saturday – including Dryden – were passed fit to take their place in the squad and Invicta clearly had the bit between their teeth as they started strongly.

Dryden pulled a shot across goal from the left hand side of the box after four minutes following a great ball from Martin Chandler and the striker then shot narrowly wide of the far post, this time from the right hand side, from a Stuart Myall ball after six minutes.

Chandler couldn’t quite get the ball under control and goalkeeper Clark Masters was able to come out and gather from a Paul Jones through ball after 11 minutes and Dryden shot at Masters when Myall sent him racing away again.

Dryden opened the scoring after 18 minutes when Chandler played the ball to Jones down the left hand side and the latter’s low cross from the left was slotted in from close range by his striking partner in the middle.

It was all Invicta as Dryden headed just wide at the far post from a deep Paul Lamb cross after 22 minutes in a move also involving Myall.

Slough had the ball in the net after 56 minutes but the ‘goal’ was ruled out by an assistant referee’s flag for a foul after home goalkeeper Tony Kessell had kept out Matt Seedel’s close range effort.

But Invicta continued to create chances as centre half John Guest headed over a Kevin Watson free kick after 58 minutes and Masters touched over a Chandler piledriver from outside the penalty area a minute later when Myall tee-d him up. Adam Flanagan’s header from Watson’s subsequent corner was then deflected just wide.

Slough’s Andy Bullard was booked for a bad tackle on Chandler which led to Invicta’s second goal in the 66th minute as Flanagan headed on the free kick and Dryden flicked the ball into the net.

Invicta were enjoying themselves and Dryden completed his hat-trick in the 69th minute when he lobbed goalkeeper Masters after being put through the middle by Micheal Everitt.

Dryden nearly struck again after 70 minutes but this time Masters got down to touch his fierce shot round the post for a corner after another Myall ball.

Myall himself had the ball in the net two minutes later but the ‘goal’ was ruled out for an infringement on the goalkeeper from Watson’s corner on the right.

Dryden warmed Masters’ hands again after 79 minutes with a shot from outside the penalty area following a Flanagan ball.

Invicta made three late substitutions, including a first senior outing for young defender Liam Friend, who had played for the youth team in their recent big game against Chipstead.

There was still time for a Myall shot to fly just wide of the Slough post during stoppage time.

Folkestone Invicta: Kessell, Watson, Lamb (Friend 90), Flanagan, Guest, Chandler (Lindsey 86), M. Everitt, Myall, Dryden (Neilson 82), Jones, Norman. Subs: J. Everitt, Mann.

Slough Town: Masters, Carbon, Avery, Daly, Bullard (Millar 86), Mason, Harris, McCrearey, West, Seedel, Woodruffe. Subs: Alexis, Lovegrove, Wilkinson, Parkin.

Attendance: 263.