Thursday 01st September 2005 - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football


Tuesday 21
September 2004
FA Cup - First Qualifying Round Replay Brian Spurrell reports from Park View Road
Erith & Belvedere 4 Tozer 42
Adams 67 (pen)
Wood 77
Dickson 89
Carterton Town 3 Lewis 39,52
Odum 75


Chris Dickson scored his sixth goal of the season to seal an epic FA Cup tie on Tuesday evening.  His 89th-minute strike won a tie in which the Deres trailed four times overall and led for just two minutes out of 180 - but they were the crucial two minutes.

Deres supporters have certainly had value for money so far this season, with an aggregate of 48 goals in their first ten matches.  The Deres trail 27-21, but alongside the obvious defensive frailties there are signs of an attractive team coming together. 

Erith had the lion's share of the first-half chances, largely thanks to a tenacious performance from Lewis Wood.  He and Steffan Ball had shots blocked in succession on 12 minutes, and his hard work set up chances for Marc Cumberbatch and Ray Aboagye before the half-hour mark.

At the other end Kevin Lewis gave notice of the threat posed by the Hellenic League visitors, with a sharp shot on the turn ten minutes before the break. 

Trevor Ashley's shot was blocked two minutes later, and from the resulting corner the ever-alert Lewis turned sharply and buried the opening goal. 

On 42 minutes Lewis Tozer headed his first Deres goal from a deep cross by Ryan Briggs, and the stage was set for a cracking second half.

Once again it was Kevin Lewis who made a goal out of nothing on 52 minutes, turning in the box and sending a superb finish past Jani Seitsonen to make it 2-1. 

On the hour Darren Adams replaced Ball, who was not using his height to best effect, and within a minute Adams took a ball from Dickson and tried a lob which was well held by Nick Heritage.

Shortly afterwards another Adams lob was chased by Wood, who was brought down by Heritage, and Adams blasted the resulting penalty straight down the middle to bring the Deres level on 67 minutes.

Adams' work with Dickson and Wood continued to cause the visitors headaches, but after he had somehow shot over the bar from a fine Dickson ball, it was the visitors who took the lead again on 75 minutes.

James Mortimer-Jones cleverly threaded the ball through to Mark Odom, who slotted Carterton's third goal to Seitsonen's left.

Two minutes later a superb move produced Erith's fourth equaliser of the tie: Tozer's long accurate ball to Adams, over to Wood at the far post and it was 3-3.

Dickson continued to work hard, twice getting within range with help from Wood but not putting enough into the shot.

 In the last five minutes Aboagye did well to find Wood who drew a good save, and Dickson showed great skill to beat his full-back and cross for Adams, whose shot was blocked.

The Deres were not settling for extra time, and Dickson's sheer persistence was rewarded when he battled into the box with two minutes remaining and, under pressure, rolled the ball in with the underside of his boot to put Erith through. 

They now host Flackwell Heath of the Isthmian second division in the second qualifying round on 2 October, but first travel to Harlow on Saturday. 

Speaking to, editor Stephen McCartney, on Wednesday, Erith & Belvedere manager Barry Lakin praised Edwin Mante - who has broken through via the reserve team - hence the above headline!

Mante, who joined the club last season, after breaking into the first team squad at Ryman Leaguers Bromley, made his Deres home debut against the Hellenic League side, and won praise from his manager.

Lakin said: "We started very brightly and played some excellent football.

"However, for all the pressure we just couldn't score, which always lifts the other team, and we let in a sloppy goal from a corner.

"I can't fault the lads effort as they ran their hearts out for me and the club.

"We deserved the win, but Carteron never deserved to lose.  If that makes sense?

"I also thought young Edwin Mante played very well for his home debut, and all credit to our reserve team manager Wayne Baldichino.

"Overall, it was a good night for the club and now we need to take this into Saturday's game against Harlow Town."

Erith & Belvedere: Seitsonen, Cumberbatch, Chapman, Tozer, Brown, Aboagye, Briggs, Mante, Dickson, Ball (Adams 61), Wood.  Subs: Robinson, Hales, Lakin, Whitehouse.