Thursday 01st September 2005

Morrish rescues Deres

Saturday 13th
August 2005
Kentish Observer League Thomas Hawes reports from the 
Mile End Stadium
Sporting Bengal United 1 Ahmed 82
Erith & Belvedere 1 Morrish 90

Kentish Observer League new boys Erith and Belvedere were fortunate to gain a draw in East London - only an injury time equaliser saved the Derers blushes against an unpredictable Sporting Bengal United side, writes Thomas Hawes.

The game was tense and tight in the first half, with neither side playing particular well - both sides were struggling to get back into the competitive game rhythm.

The home side, however, had a strong penalty claim rejected after 16 minutes had been played and the passionate home fans definitely thought that Prince Pippim had been brought down.  It remained goal-less at the interval.

On a pitch where the ball just kept rolling, the Bengal winger used his pace to earn a free-kick.

The free kick was whipped in and the clearance from the Deres was poor.  The ball landed kindly at the feet of Ahmed, who made no mistake in drilling the ball into the top corner of Ricky Hall's net to give the East Londoners the lead with only eight minutes left on the clock.

Last season, it was the Deres defence that was the problem, but against Sporting Bengal, the Deres attack lacked flare and the end result was often poor in tricky conditions.

Former Bromley youngster, Edwin Mante had a chance to level the game up when his lob was cleared off the line by a defender.

Last season's top scorer, Chris Dickson's shot went agonisingly wide with a few minutes left and it seemed as if the Deres were going to lose.

However, the home side were made to pay for their time-wasting tactics as captain Luke Morrish headed home from just three yards out and finally the Deres were level, albeit after 96 minutes had been played.

Unbelievably there was still a chance for the Park View Road side to snatch victory but Dickson just couldn't connect with Sam Friskey's cross.

Deres' assistant manager, Wayne Baldacchino told the club's website :  "A below par performance saw us sneak a late equaliser from captain Luke Morrish in the 6th minute of time added on.

"We could not get our game going today and were playing in spells, which is a shame as everything leading to the game was of a high standard.

"Preparation was good as was the spirit.  I can only assume that today was a bit of a reality check for some of the players and it is something they need to get used to very soon.

"We threatened on a number of occasions but just did not look like scoring.

(Darren) "Adams, (Chris) Dickson, (Mark) Horan, and (Peter) Afolayan all had good chances but shots were high or wide instead of on target.

"We will be putting some time into finishing this week and also have a former Wimbledon youth/reserve striker training with us at the moment so may move into this area if need be.

"Not the greatest spectacle of a game, but one I know that we can certainly improve on."


Erith & Belvedere: Hall, Maycock, Mante, Dakin, Morrish (Capt), Friskey, Horan, Sugden, Adams, Dickson, Gibson.  Used subs: Afolayan, Cook, Martin.  Subs: White, Murray