Thursday 01st September 2005
Saturday 16th
April 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Neil Sanders reports from Maidstone Road
Chatham Town 2 Cass 30
Amadi 50
Barton Rovers 0  

Chatham hit the top ten

CHATHAM Town's starting line up was unchanged from last week’s impressive win and they completed the double over Barton Rovers, despite being reduced to ten men before half time

Both sides had created one clear chance in the first 15 minutes.  A powerful drive from Barton’s Paul Whyte was well held by Chatham keeper Louis Green, and at the other end a sharp turn and shot by Brendan Cass was turned round the post for a corner. 

Chatham continued their neat passing movements, which have become more and more noticeable in recent weeks, and took the lead on the half hour mark following one such move. 

An interchange of passes down the right between Tom Binks and Steve Searle gave Mark Brookes a chance to show his pace to get to the goal line.  He produced a pin-point cross for former Tonbridge Angels' striker Cass to head home at the far post.  

At the back, Green produced a great block save to deny Barton’s 30 goal striker Paul Barnes before Chatham skipper Steve Best was dismissed after 40 minutes, for what appeared to be dissent. Tom Binks was also booked at the same time.

To add to Chat’s frustration , no action was taken two minutes later, when Barton keeper Steve Graham looked to have upended Israel Armadi outside the Rovers penalty area as he outpaced the defence.

Chatham nearly increased the lead four minutes after the break when Frannie Collin let fly from 30 yards, but saw his shot rattle the bar. 

However, just a minute later they did score when Armadi finished well from 12 yards after more good work by Brookes.  

Barton put Chatham under pressure several times during the second half, particularly through Paul Barnes, but a series of fine saves by Louis Green preserved the clean sheet. 

Former Erith & Belvedere striker Darren Adams replaced Collin late on, and nearly scored in injury time when his 20 yard shot was tipped over, following another good passing move.

Steve Binks commented at the end that he was pleased with the character shown throughout, particularly being down to 10 men for much of the game.  It was good to see Chat’s maintain their passing game despite the circumstances, as they moved up to 10th position in the league and now look like finishing as the highest placed Kent team in the division.

Chatham Town:  Green, Binks, D.Larkin, Boyle, A.Larkin, Best, Brookes (Solly 87), Searle, Cass, Collin (Adams 81), Armadi (Bourne 73). Sub: Hunt

Barton Rovers: Graham, Reed, Morgan, McNally, Gray, Golds, Dowling (Lincoln 77), Whyte, M.Barnes (Pringle 57), P.Barnes, Case (Nkrumah 72).