Thursday 01st September 2005

Chatham move back into top six

Saturday 5th
November 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Neil Sanders reports from Maidstone Road
Chatham Town 3 Bourne 4,82
Denness 52
Great Wakering Rovers 2 Butterworth 44,56

After conceding an early goal in midweek, this time it was Chatham's turn to get off to a flyer. Brendan Cass was just off target with a half chance in the 1st minute, but Matt Bourne made no mistake when he rose highest to meet Matt Solly's 4th minute corner with a powerful header, writes Neil Sanders.
However, Great Wakering then had the better of the first half and created several opportunities, with Gianni Frankis looking particularly dangerous. They eventually equalised a minute before half time. Steve Butterworth found space to run from the halfway line to the edge of the 18 yard box before letting fly with a left foot shot into the top corner.
Chatham substitute Israel Amadi wasted no time getting into the game after coming on for the second half. His persistence in chasing a ball into the Rovers area caused confusion and a fumble, which left Rob Denness with time to pick his spot and slot home for 2-1 on 52 minutes. 

This time the lead only lasted five minutes.  The visitors were awarded a free kick just outside the Chats area and Butterworth scored his second with a curling right foot shot, which appeared to go through the defensive wall.
Neither side looked content with a point and chances followed at both ends. A header from Frankis brought a good save from Louis Green and the best move of the match, involving Brooks and Denness, ended with Rovers keeper Dave Hudson saving a powerful volley from Cass.

The winner for Chatham came with eight minutes left on the clock and was a carbon copy of the first goal. Another Solly corner met by another unstoppable header from Bourne.
The only thing left was for Hudson to make the save of the match in the closing moments, to tip over a shot from Cass after Bourne had set him up from a corner.  Three welcome points for Chatham to move them back into the top six.


Chatham Town: Green, Binks, D.Larkin, Boyle, Bourne, Best, Solly, Brooks (Long 86), Denness (Lyons 90), Cass, Finn (Amadi 45). Subs: Miles, Fewell.
Great Wakering Rovers: Hudson, Heffer, Cartlidge, Beale, O'Connell, Butterworth, White, Parmenter, Frankis, Lawrence, Pitts (Etienne-Clark 87).  Subs: Ewers, Holmes, Crew, Richmond.